We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is the Makena cloud?

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carlsbad, CA
reviews: 96
How bad is the Makena cloud?

I have read about the Makena cloud that sometimes forms on most afternoons over the Makena State Beach area. One recent reviewer of a Makena hotel said her family drove to a different beach each afternoon to avoid it, but most reviewers never mention it. Most guidebooks don't mention it either, but Fodor's does.

I was curious how often the Makena cloud forms and when does it normally start and end (blow away?)?

Also, how far north does the cloud cover extend? Is it enough of an annoyance to choose a hotel outside of its reach -- like in Wailea rather than Makena?

Thanks.

Philadelphia
31. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

Oh I've been all over maui. Way past kapalua and beyond. Snorkeled from Honolua bay to the now off limits fishbowl after hiking over lava.

S.F. Bay Area
reviews: 9
32. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

WOW!! That's a long swim, Caesar!? Hope you had benefit of a motorized scooter for that journey! ;)

http://tinyurl.com/lp4o8vf

Have you ever stayed on the west/north side?? The Ritz is very nice in August, and the Honua Kai offers a great, if novel, 'condo-tel' experience, with accommodations ranging from a few hundred/nightly well up into the thousands per night.. Of course, the service level at either doesn't compare to that of the 4-S Wailea, which unfortunately pales in comparison to the Big Island's 4-S Hualali (or even Lana'i's Manele Bay location..) in the service & 'over-booking' department(s).

In any case, I hope you enjoy your visit immensely, and (for both of our sakes..) that ugly cloud stays hidden, as I'll be on island -- well, several islands, actually -- as well during that time-frame.. :)

Wayne, New Jersey
33. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

Cesar, my hubby and I will be there in August too. Hopefully no bad clouds following us around lol;)

Philadelphia
34. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

Stayed at kapalua bay in 2004. Since then only 4s maui. Like it there too much. We looked at 4s on the big island but it lacks a super nice beach and what is Hawaii without a great beach?

35. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 06, 2014