We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Wailea or Westin

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Grand Wailea or Westin

If I stay at the Wailea it will cost 40 dollars more a night or should I save the money and stay at the Westin?

San Diego...
reviews: 13
11. Re: Grand Wailea or Westin

"As far as excise taxes are concerned, you pay that on everything you buy or consume. We pay it on groceries, rent, doctors, hospitals, prescriptions etc. You will pay it on any activity you do. The Grand Wailea doesn't have a lock on these taxes!!!!!"

This is correct but at $40 bucks a night you still have a tax savings that you need to attribute to the total...e.g. Westin is 310/night and the Grand is 350. This margin spreads because you are taxed on the $40 bucks that you would spend at the grand so your savings going with the Westin actually increase.

$40 x 8 x 1.11 = 355.

It is actually slightly more because I believe the tax is 11.42%

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 40
12. Re: Grand Wailea or Westin

you couldn't pay me to stay at the GW again... but that said let me give the most unbiased answer i can.

GW charges $25/resort fee. $2.50/day cleaning. $10/person for carrying bags. their food is pricier than any resort or upscale hotel i've ever seen (more than the ritz carlton in NYC). so if you think it's only $40/day more, imagine it really being $80-100 and go from there w/ your decision.

as far as picking an ocean view room, i wouldn't worry about this too much. i had an ocean view room and didn't really find the view to be anything worth paying extra for. (actually had *2* different ocean view rooms, as well as visited friends/family in about 5 others...). the garden rooms are actually closer to the beach/pool.

the westin pool looks pretty nice..

Danville, California
reviews: 28
13. Re: Grand Wailea or Westin

msfuzz, when we paid for groceries and various actvities, I didn't notice an excise tax on any of my bills, just the 11.42% hi. tax. When we checked out of GW, I noticed how there was a seperate excise tax for every meal we ate there, every souvenier purchase... is there an excise tax on everything in Hawaii and what is the actual % ?? Or is part of the 11.42% taxes include an excise tax and GW adds on another excise tax?

Portland, OR
reviews: 6
14. Re: Grand Wailea or Westin

You want to be close to the ocean? Stay at the Westin's Beach Tower. Click on my name and you can check out the pics from our balcony. This room is a Deluxe Ocean Front room and probably will cost more than what you quoted earlier. the view was hard to beat and the Westin's location on Kaanapali Beach is even harder to beat. Good luck!

Waltham...
15. Re: Grand Wailea or Westin

I think it depends on what's most important to you during your stay. I've been to Maui 2x and both times we stayed in Kihei and rented a condo. I really enjoyed the beaches in Kihei and Wailea (Kamaole 1-3, Wailea, Big Beach, etc), but also liked the night life in Lahaina.

The drive to Lahaina from Wailea will probably take about 30-40 mins, so no late night partying and drinking unless you want to take an expensive cab ride or have a DD. There was a club we went to at the GW, I think it's called Tsunami. They got a lot of locals one night and we had a good time, but you get more variety in the Lahaina / Kaanapali area.

I'll go north (or west as they say) on my next trip for a change, but you just need to decide what you want most from the trip and take ti from there.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 40
16. Re: Grand Wailea or Westin

Tsnuami isn't really open anymore... well maybe it is? i read it's closed in Maui revealed. when i was there it was closed every night i went by it except for one night where it was open for a private Jack in the Box corporate event. I waited outside of it while my friend went to the bathroom that's right next to Tsunami...the bouncers stood there and made fun of what hilton was doing to the GW the whole time ("and can you believe they did this now? why would anyone pay that?") ... i peered in, the place itself looked pretty dated and i can't imagine it was very cool. they were playing early 90s dance music.

then i read on the GW TV station that it was open on Friday nights now, but the entrance fee was $40. so it may be open, but there's a $40 cover. (had my room included a hotel information book it probably would've been in there...)

cab ride from wailea to lahaina is about $60-70 depending where exactly you go. did this once after having driven it myself the previous night--driving the windy road following the ocean is fun in the day but not so fun at night when it's windy and you're tired and wanting to be home.

Kailua
17. Re: Grand Wailea or Westin

Just fyi....i think recently the maui westin had priceline prices of like 125$. So not to sure if its too late but it could change your mind.

Arizona
reviews: 8
18. Re: Grand Wailea or Westin

Westin has a $20 a day resort fee, by the way.

As others have said, the primary issue in deciding between these two hotels is whether you would prefer to be in Ka'anapali or Wailea. They are very different places. Given the total overall cost of this vacation, I think the money difference, while not insignificant, is not nearly enough that it should cause you to stay somewhere that you wouldn't prefer over the other.

I like Ka'anapali much better than Wailea. Others disagree. Wailea is too remote for me. I like walking up and down Ka'anapali. I like being near Whaler's Village. I like the hustle and bustle of Lahaina nearby. Just a different feeling.

Resort wise, the GW is nicer, although it has some issues. If swimming pool were the number 1 most important issue to you, it would be an easier call.

I agree, by the way, with the notion that the Beach Tower at the Westin is the best. But an Ocean View Deluxe is very expensive. and not Ocean View Deluxe rooms are the same. You can get a lower floor away from the beach.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
19. Re: Grand Wailea or Westin

No wrong answer here, Marti. Between the two, I'd stay at the Westin. It's close to many activities that you would enjoy -- livelier place. Great location.

Ohio
20. Re: Grand Wailea or Westin

Thank you for all the great info. Looking forward to the trip