We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best meat market for peameal bacon

Which Wiarton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Troy, Michigan
Best meat market for peameal bacon

I will be spending October 10th thru 12th in Stokes Bay. I am planning on stopping in Wiarton to pick up some peameal bacon. Where should I go?

Thank you,

Tom Petho

Toronto, Ontario
reviews: 19
1. Re: Best meat market for peameal bacon

Sullivan's Butcher Shop is right on the main street in Wiarton (just past the lights). It's excellent. A second choice would be the grocery store (IGA).

Troy, Michigan
2. Re: Best meat market for peameal bacon

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I did stop at Sullivan's and the peameal was great.

Thanks again

Tom Petho

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
reviews: 7
3. Re: Best meat market for peameal bacon

OK I'm from Ohio ... what is peameal bacon?

Do you place cheese over it? ;-)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 71
4. Re: Best meat market for peameal bacon

Hi Tom;

Peameal Bacon is similar to Canadian Bacon. It is cured but not smoked. Peameal Bacon is made from pork loins weighing 12-14 Lb. They are trimmed of all the fat and the bones are removed. The term peameal comes from the ground yellow peas with which the bacon was originally coated. This ensured better curing and shelf life and avoided bacterial problems. Over the years this tradition was changed to cornmeal, due to the availability of corn.

Rather than resurrect an old post, proper forum etiquette would be to post your questions by starting your own topic .

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: Best meat market for peameal bacon

When quoting verbatim from another web site, in this case http://www.bbqtalk.ca/PeamealBacon.htm , proper forum etiquette would be to use quotation marks and provide credit for the source.

Owen Sound, Canada
6. Re: Best meat market for peameal bacon

LOL....would it be good etiquette to mention that, growing up in Ontario, we always called it "back bacon"...?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 71
7. Re: Best meat market for peameal bacon

Even funnier...I asked my buddy at the butcher shop, (via email) he sent the reply, I posted it...never crossed my mind that he would Google it !

Best Regards

8. Re: Best meat market for peameal bacon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Wiarton