We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanab to page one day rainbow bridge or antelope?

Which Lake Powell hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Okotoks, Canada
reviews: 14
Kanab to page one day rainbow bridge or antelope?

We are staying in Kanab next week. I was hoping to see the rainbow bridge, however it seems all the boat tours leave at 7:30 and I reasonably don't think we could arrive in page much before 10 a.m with the time change. Is the any other way to get to the Rainbow Bridge.?

Option 2 is antelope canyon. Is it reasonable to see upper and lower canyons and maybe do a short boat trip by starting after 10? We would like to arrive back in Kanab before it gets dark.

Also any idea on the cost of the AC tours? On the antelope point website there Are no costs listed? Will my national park pass be of any benefit here?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 106
1. Re: Kanab to page one day rainbow bridge or antelope?

I'll try to answer all your questions.

Because of the low lake levels the Rainbow Bridge tour must take a longer route and will take all day. So if you wanted to take it one option would be to move to Page for one night so you wouldn't have the early morning drive. I think it is fabulous and a natural wonder of the world. Others don't agree and feel the boat tour is long and tedious.

The only other way would be to rent your own boat for the day. There are no half day rentals though so you'd have all day on the lake as well, but this way you would be able to go at your own pace, and explore some of the other side canyons. Certainly it is more expensive, but you would avoid the tour crowds and see more at your own pace.

However, if that doesn't appeal another water option for you would be to raft Glen Canyon. This is the area just below the dam. It is a beautiful area of tall cliffs and gentle water. http://raftthecanyon.com/ (though you may still have an early morning departure for that )

The tours of the Antelope Canyons take about 2 hrs each. So you could certainly do both of them. Whether you could add in a short boat tour (such as Canyon adventure or Antelope canyon by water) and still get back to kanab by dark depends I guess on your timing. It might be possible.

Your national parks pass will not cover the Antelope Canyon tours as they are on Tribal lands. There is a $6 per person tribal park entrance fee that will cover both canyons. Then you must pay for a guide. I haven't heard the latest, but $25 (per person for each canyon) was what it was last I heard. There is a premium for Upper Antelope if you go during the midday times.

Edited: 8:34 pm, August 20, 2013
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
2. Re: Kanab to page one day rainbow bridge or antelope?

Kbecjeans gives great advice, as always. It is possible, however, to rent boats by the hour out of Antelope Point Marina (but not Wahweap)--according to the Antelope Point website (never done that myself). The other advantage of Antelope Point is that you'll shave off about 8 miles of boating compared to Wahweap, which puts you that much closer to Rainbow Bridge. Count on about a little under 50 miles each way from Antelope Point, and about 55 from Wahweap. That's a half day in a skiboat, roundtrip, more or less...

I agree that Rainbow Bridge (and the ride there) are well worth it--spectacular. But so is the raft trip... It's a matter of whether you want to boat quietly deep in a canyon (raft) or out in the open at high speed (to Rainbow)...

Okotoks, Canada
reviews: 14
3. Re: Kanab to page one day rainbow bridge or antelope?

Thanks so much for the very quick reply! Are there any companies that will do private tours to Rainbow? Or are there companies that will rent a boat and driver? I saw there was a company that did speed boat tours but haven't actually found them online. I thought it was antelope point...but couldn't find any jet boat info.

If we did a boat tour from the marina to antelope canyon, do passengers disembark and actually tour the canyon?

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
4. Re: Kanab to page one day rainbow bridge or antelope?

I also noticed that at one time, they were running speed boat tours to Rainbow Bridge out of Antelope Point, but that's no longer on their website--not doing it anymore, I suppose (?). It seems now the only tours to Rainbow Bridge are run out of Wahweap through www.lakepowell.com (or you can book through a third party broker/agent, but why bother with the middleman?) There are no private tours that go to Rainbow--unless you can hitchhike from some boater who's already going there(!).

The Antelope Canyon boat tours do not involve disembarking--in fact, they don't even go anywhere near the iconic slot canyons you get to in the land tour (which are farther upstream in the same canyon). The Antelope Point website is a little misleading in that regard... Beautiful boat trip, but all on water, and nothing like the slot canyon tour on land...

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 106
5. Re: Kanab to page one day rainbow bridge or antelope?

Thanks JFR for keeping me up on all the latest developments down there. Good to know about the hourly rentals. That would be another way to go.

goodnessgracious, the boat tours of Antelope canyon are from the water only. The slot canyon parts of the canyon would be further away from the lake.

Can't say for sure about private boat drivers, though I've never heard of such a thing, nor would I expect it would be allowed under current NPS regulations. (But wait for JFR's response cause maybe that has changed as well.)

{{See, and speedy as well.}}

Edited: 9:03 pm, August 20, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 129
6. Re: Kanab to page one day rainbow bridge or antelope?

And this is why we advise staying in Page for Antelope Canyons and Lake Powell activities. Kanab is central to Page, Bryce, Zion and the GCNP north rim, but it's too far away from any of them to commute for meaningful full day trips.

7. Re: Kanab to page one day rainbow bridge or antelope?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 22, 2014