We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Powell concerns

Which Lake Powell hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
Lake Powell concerns

A note in the 2006 Frommers Arizona book says Lake Powell is "less than half its capacity (down 130 feet) . . . some experts believe that if the drought continues, the lake could go completely dry by 2007."

Was planning a day and a half in Page this August to try some jetboating/waverunning and an Antelope Canyon tour. Can anyone who's been there recently tell me if it's beginning to look depressingly low even now?

With only 3 precious nights out in northern arizona, I'm not sure I want to go somewhere that looks like a downer. Not with so much else out there.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Bert

Salt Lake City, UT
reviews: 8
1. Re: Lake Powell concerns

Antelope Canyon has nothing to do with "Lake" Powell, it just happens to be close by. It's exactly the kind of scenery that Lake Powell flooded. The lake is even uglier that normal with so much of the bathtub ring exposed, though the irony is that the low water level allows one to explore some beautiful places that have been under water for many years.

Pittsburgh
2. Re: Lake Powell concerns

thanks, brettyb!

Banff National...
reviews: 16
3. Re: Lake Powell concerns

AZnovice Was there in 1995 and scenery was spectacular.

Returned in 03 & 04 water lever has really dropped.

Thank God,WE did the boat tour to RAINBOW bridge 1995....

Headed out this way,this fall and shall return for 1 more visit to L.P.

If drought persists,Page most likely ghostown.

A lot of people who didn't want this manmade whatever

are the onle ones smiling now...

I am spending 4 nights here,but 1 going to Monument Valley for Day

Tour of upper Antelope Canyon another

Getting here late first night from Zion

another day just relexing here

For you I would still come, still gorgeous to see

I doubt very much Lake Powell gone by 2007.................

But big big difference from 1995 to present............

Pittsburgh
4. Re: Lake Powell concerns

thanx, joeman

Banff National...
5. Re: Lake Powell concerns

AZnovice What did u decide to do?

New York
reviews: 1
6. Re: Lake Powell concerns

Just got back from Spring break doing the "Grand Loop" (Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion and Lake Powell) We spent a single night RV camping at Wahweap Marina at Lake Powell - campground no longer water front since the lake has dropped 100 feet but view of the lake was beautiful. Didn't actually spend any time on Lake Powell. Spent 1st afternoon doing the float trip from Glenn Canyon Dam to Lee's Ferry - expensive at around $60/person- but very worth it. and the next day did a late morning tour of Antelope (Not expensive and also very worth it). Both my teenagers and my husband and I thought Antelope Canyon was the coolest thing we've ever seen. It was 24 of the most interesting hours of our week long trip - don't skip it! We then moved on to Bryce that afternoon (which was our favorite park overall and is small enough to be seen in a day). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - never seen Lake Powell full, but the fact that the lower exposed rocks were white not red ("bath tub ring") added interest to me. Try going to www.pageboymotel.us to check out a photo. I know nothing of this motel but the photo on their home page is accurate of what the lake currently looks like. they also have an "area attractions" section that has more photos. I thought it was beautiful. You can still take the boat trip to Rainbow arch - you now just have to hike in a little ways to actually get to the arch from the boat since the water's down. It has taken a decade of drought to drop the lake this much. Can't believe it will be dry by 2007!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
reviews: 45
7. Re: Lake Powell concerns

"Both my teenagers and my husband and I thought Antelope Canyon was the coolest thing we've ever seen. It was 24 of the most interesting hours of our week long trip - don't skip it!

Just imagine if the reservoir wasn't there and you had all those variations on that canyon. The bathtub ring would be gone in a few years, the side canyons that have been exposed have recovered and re-covered quite nicely.

"Can't believe it will be dry by 2007!"

We can only hope...

bob

killer@bobpalin.com

Banff National...
8. Re: Lake Powell concerns

killer bob i guess you are one of the many would love to see it go dry.

lot of RICH people going to lose their shirt.........

I see u are from Torrey Utah.

I will be there in Sep coming from Tetons

Is rt 12 the most scenic road in America?

Torrey to Bryce I hope to do on RT12 then...

How long should I allow myself,that morning i will be coming from Logan Utah

heading to Tropic Utah for the night.RT 12 in between...........

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
reviews: 45
9. Re: Lake Powell concerns

Nobody needs to lose their shirt when the reservoir goes dry, they just need to shift their focus. There will still be a river for rafting trips, many side canyons for guided hikes and horse rides etc. etc.

Is UT12 the most scenic road in the US? That's a hard one, it's certainly right up there and for variety of scenery over the 120 odd miles it has to be top. Highway 212 out of the NE corner of Yellowstone is the only other road that I would on a level with UT12 though there are some very scenic roads in CO too. Enjoy them all I say!

bob

Saratoga Springs, NY
reviews: 4
10. Re: Lake Powell concerns

We just got back from Lake Powell. The lake was down quite a bit since we were there a few years ago, about 40 feet. It was a little disappointing to see the lake so low but we still had a great time. We rented a motor boat at Wahweap Marina. It was still a lot of fun, even with the lake so low. The guy at the marina said they expect the lake to come all the way back up by July. If he's correct it should be beautiful when you go. Antelope canyon is also one of my favorites.