We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Powell Adventure - Practical Guide and tips

Which Lake Powell hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Lake Powell Adventure - Practical Guide and tips

I have been to Lake Powell 18 times since 1986, and have explored most every nook that can be reached in a boat or on foot. I love the area. But sometimes it is very difficult for those who would like to go to decide between the many options before them--especially when they only have a week.

So many choices. But it all starts with deciding what your goals are. Do you want to focus on hiking? Scenery? Fishing? Waterskiing? Camping? Solitude? Narrow canyons? Open bays? Archaeological ruins?

How big is your group? Do they need a luxury houseboat? Or lakeside camping? Maybe something in between... How long will you have? A seven-day trip provides a lot more flexibility than a 3-day excursion. Do you have kids? This presents an entirely different set of issues, ranging from safety, to fun adventures geared to their abilities, to learning experiences they will enjoy.

I can help you translate your interests into a great Lake Powell adventure. With my knowledge of the canyons, hiking, how to operate a houseboat, the best camping spots, and practical tips (about food, safety, preparation, and fun things you might want but won't know it till it's too late), I'd be happy to help.

If you're interested in learning more, or just need some advice, please feel free to contact me directly at:

John Rickenbach

jfrickenbach@aol.com

805/462-8823

Have a great adventure!

389 replies to this topic
chicago, il
reviews: 6
1. Re: Lake Powell Adventure - Practical Guide and tips

Have 2-3 days as part of a Phoenix trip. Have been to GC, thought we'd do tour or drive to Antelope Canyon & maybe Monument Valley. I know the distance, but is this an easy drive from Phoenix? Should we do just the Canyon? Also, View Hotel is booked, any other place you'd recommend that's special near either place? Most tours seem to leave from Vegas, so maybe a tour is out.

Edited: 2:06 pm, June 21, 2010
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
2. Re: Lake Powell Adventure - Practical Guide and tips

If you’ve got 2-3 days as part of a Phoenix trip, I assume that means one day up to the Monument Valley area, one day there, and one day back to Phoenix. That’s do-able, but a little rushed…then again, better to be there at all. Here’s my thoughts:

The road from Phoenix is easy, but it is about 300 miles to Kayenta, which is the main base for Monument Valley—count on 4+ hours to Kayenta. A straight shot up I-17 to Flagstaff, then relatively fast and straight desert roads from there. Should not be a problem.

If you are planning an Antelope Canyon tour, you’ll want to stay in Page, which is maybe a little shorter distance from Phoenix, but still close to 300 miles and 4 hours. You can book a tour of Antelope Cyn from Page (no need for Vegas). Count on using a good part of your free day on the tour, if that’s the main thing you plan to do. I always advise against trying to do too much on any trip, and I would suggest that doing Antelope and Monument Valley in the same day is too much. About 100 miles from Page to Kayenta—so 2 hours there—and you’ll want to take your time once you’re there. So unless you like spending most of your time in your car (since you’ll be going back to Phoenix the next day), you might be better off skipping MV, and focusing on something else closer to Page.

On the other hand, you could always stay the second night in Kayenta or nearby, so you don’t have to drive back to Page--this makes Monument Valley more feasible. The View Hotel is great (too bad it’s booked), and nothing I’m aware of near there is comparable, but there are plenty of motels like Holiday Inn, Best Western, etc. in Kayenta.

Another neat tour out of Page (if that becomes your base) is a short float trip from just below the dam to Lee’s Ferry—takes a few hours, but absolutely beautiful scenery—what Glen Canyon looked like before the dam. Worthwhile as an alternate concept to Antelope Cyn…

have fun!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 87
3. Re: Lake Powell Adventure - Practical Guide and tips

Good info from JFR,

I just wanted to add that Gouldings Lodge,,,the only one near MV until the View opened is still there though they can book up as well:

http://www.gouldings.com/

Tours for Antelope canyon can be booked direct with any of the companies ro through the museum: http://Reservations.PowellMuseum.org/

or just drive up to the entrance.

Tours of MV can be booked direct, see navajonationparks.org/htm/monumentvalley.htm for some options.

Colby, Kansas
4. Re: Lake Powell Adventure - Practical Guide and tips

We are planning our very first trip to Lake Powell and will be staying on a friends house boat. We are wanting to rest, relax and take in the sights. We have a 7 yr old son who will be coming along as well. What type of fun adventures are there that he might enjoy? We are planning a 7 day stay and can travel a bit for family fun adventures if there are any near. Any recommendations? I can't wait to be there!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 87
5. Re: Lake Powell Adventure - Practical Guide and tips

wolfeg, Are they planning to leave the houseboat docked? Cause generally taking a houseboat on lake powell means taking it up lake and stopping at places along the way to explore and have fun. The sights and adventures you see would be on the lake- places you can only get to by boat.

If you are planning some extra time either before or after the houseboat, or if they will be keeping the houseboat docked then that is different.

Edited: 9:04 pm, July 11, 2010
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
6. Re: Lake Powell Adventure - Practical Guide and tips

sounds fun! But because there are so many options, it would be helpful to know a little bit more about your trip parameters. I guess a few basic questions are:

1. Which marina are you leaving from?

2. Will you have a motorboat (in addition to a houseboat)?

3. Will you have a kayak, or small raft?

4. Will you have water skis?

The answers to these will be important in focusing your options. Then there are other key questions:

5. How many people in all?

6. How many kids (besides your 7-year old)?

7. What are your main interests relative to the lake? (fishing, hiking, history, swimming, solitude, camping, narrow canyons, etc...)

8. Are there any specific sights you really want to see? (like Rainbow Bridge, for example)

...a little more input, and I can give you some pretty good specifics...

Edited: 3:15 am, July 12, 2010
Israel
reviews: 11
7. Re: Lake Powell Adventure - Practical Guide and tips

We're a family of 4 from Israel. Kids will be 7 and 9 at time of visit (probably early June 2011). I have one night in Page planned right now (just posted in the forum with our full plan for Utah).

The plan is to visit the Grand Canyon on the previous day, hopefully catch the sunset and sunrise when staying in Tusayan. Then, early on, drive to Page, so we should be there in the morning, hopefully stopping at Horseshoe bend on the way to town. I was thinking about renting a boat for half a day and going out with the kids to see the canyons from the lake.

The next day, I was thinking we'd book a trip to Antelope for the morning hours, do that and head out towards our next destination (Zion NP).

Would love recommendations as to where to rent the boat. I would like a place that rents boats for half a day at a reasonable price. Also, any ideas about what to do in Page in the evening would be great (perhaps a short walk in town somewhere?).

Any other ideas are welcome!

Thank you for helping out - much appreciated!

Colby, Kansas
8. Re: Lake Powell Adventure - Practical Guide and tips

Guess that would be good to know huh! The house boat will stay docked, but they also have a speed boat we will be able to use.

Colby, Kansas
9. Re: Lake Powell Adventure - Practical Guide and tips

Thank you so much for all your help!

1. Which marina are you leaving from? hmmm, good question, I will find that out ASAP

2. Will you have a motorboat (in addition to a houseboat)?

yes, speed boat to take out and house boat will stay docked

3. Will you have a kayak, or small raft?

nope, but sounds like fun!

4. Will you have water skis?

yes and tubes

5. How many people in all?

4 adults 1 child

6. How many kids (besides your 7-year old)?

just him, he is very adventurous and curious - looking for something really fun for him.

7. What are your main interests relative to the lake? (fishing, hiking, history, swimming, solitude, camping, narrow canyons, etc...)

We are really up for anything, rest for a few days and then not sure what is avaiable for us to do. I am wanting to take in the sights, read and relax, hubby would love to fish and our son just wants to have fun, fun, fun! Our son loves fish and reptiles - is there anywhere to see they types of fish that are in Powell? We are going to travel home a different route thru AZ, so if you have any ideas for fun on that route, I am all ears.

8. Are there any specific sights you really want to see? (like Rainbow Bridge, for example)

nothing specific

...a little more input, and I can give you some pretty good specifics...

Colby, Kansas
10. Re: Lake Powell Adventure - Practical Guide and tips

We will be staying near Halls Marina!

Thanks for all your input!

Reply to: Lake Powell Adventure - Practical Guide and tips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lake Powell