We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis to Natchez...

Which Natchez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London,England
reviews: 15
Memphis to Natchez...

As part of our trip this May, we are spending 3 nights in Memphis then 2 nights in Natchez. We will leave Memphis after an early breakfast and want to get to Natchez at a reasonable check in time and would like opinions on these routes...

1 I22 to Tupelo, check out Elvis's birthplace and then the Natchez Trace Parkway to Natchez.

2 Route 61, taking in Clarksdale and Vicksburg.

3 Taking a route west of the Mississippi( I read somewhere this could be a nice scenic drive).

We are looking for a nice leisurely drive with a few sights along the way.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Natchez, Mississippi
1. Re: Memphis to Natchez...

I think your best option would be taking Highway 61 South. It will be a much quicker drive than the Trace with a lot to see and do! The Mississippi Delta is full of history. For information on the Delta, visit

www.visitthedelta.com

It will give you info on all the attractions in the region, including the Ground Zero Blues Club, the Biedenharn Coca-Cola Museum, the BB King Museum, the Jim Henson Museum, Margaret's Grocery plus many more!

If music is what you're interested in, then the Blues Marker Trail iPhone app is a must, download it for free here: …apple.com/us/app/blues-trail/id453159138…

If you need any other information, you can go to www.visitmississippi.org and www.visitnatchez.org for things to do in Natchez.

Please feel free to contact us at info@visitnatchez.org for anything else you may need!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: Memphis to Natchez...

Instead 61 we took local hw1 for a part. . You won't see much of the Mississippi River and it's not a fast drive but it's a step back in time. We loved that drive.

London,England
3. Re: Memphis to Natchez...

Good idea Tet14.

We could take 61 to Clarksville to The Blues Museum and then pick up hw1 to Onward for lunch as suggested by axle.

How much of hw1 did you drive?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
4. Re: Memphis to Natchez...

We took is some 50 miles south of Memphis and spent the night in Greenville. Then next day we drove it in the Vicksburg direction back to 61. We started this drive after visiting Graceland in the morning (Memphis-Greenville).

Bristol, UK
reviews: 62
5. Re: Memphis to Natchez...

We travelled Memphis to Natchez by road two weeks ago. Clarksdale is pretty close to Memphis ( <2 hours); we left Memphis around 11 and had lunch in Clarksdale (Ground Zero) soon after 1, visited the Blues Museum (very good), and stayed the night in the Lofts at the Five & Dime (see my review). Then the next day drove to Natchez. I thought Memphis to Natchez in one day might be too long, but its only about 4 hours from Clarksdale to Natchez on Hwy 61 (without stopping in Vicksburg), so you could do it in around 6-7 hours without stops. BUT the drive from Clarksdale as far as Vicksburg is very dull, with nothing interesting to stop for we could see. Roads like Hwy 61 are not very fast (if you stick to the speed limits!). Natchez is nothing like Memphis!

Mississippi
reviews: 9
6. Re: Memphis to Natchez...

If you have time spend a night in Clarksdale and enjoy the blues and BBQ. Drive S on # 61 to Duncan, MS and go W to # 1. Go through Rosedale, MS. Stop by White Front Cafe for good tamales. Drive on S through Greenville, MS to Rolling Fork and pick up # 61. Onward Store is just S of there. Spend a night in Vicksburg and visit the National Military Park. Have dinner at Rusty's Riverfront Grill then head to Natchez the next day. Enjoy your trip.

Madison, MS
reviews: 87
7. Re: Memphis to Natchez...

Also, when traveling the Natchez Trace, please keep in mind that a section of the Trace is closed between Ridgeland, MS and Jackson, MS for extensive road repair. It just closed a couple of weeks ago and is expected to be closed for up to a year. Not sure how well it is marked, but you would need to exit the Trace at Ridgeland, onto I-55, then merge on to I-220, then take 49 North exit, then re-enter the Trace. As long as you are not in rush hour traffic, the detour shouldn't take more than 10-12 minutes. Here is a link with more detailed information:

natcheztracetravel.com/natchez-trace-mississ…

I would definitely avoid this detour around 5pm.

London,England
8. Re: Memphis to Natchez...

Thanks for the update CK95.

We should not be affected by the roadworks, our plan now is to take 61 to Clarksdale, then a nice slow drive down Rte1 to Rolling Fork, back on 61to Vicksburg,onto Port Gibson and then pick up the final stretch of the Trace to Natchez.

9. Re: Memphis to Natchez...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:37 am, June 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Natchez