We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip alone to Mulhacén

Which Nevada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 1
Trip alone to Mulhacén

Hi,

I am a 26 years old girl and I would like to spend 2 days around Sierra Nevada in 1,5 weeks. My plant going up to Mulhacén :)

What do you think, can I do it alone or it is dangerous? I am in well condition (I do sport regulary) and I usually climb mountain. But I have never been above 3000 meter (except skiing in the Alps).

Can I find some organised trip to Sierra Nevada?

Trevelez, Spain
reviews: 3
1. Re: Trip alone to Mulhacén

Whether or not it is safe to go alone to Mulhacen depends very much on the weather. Even in Summer you should be cautious. In the village of Capileira you will be able to get a National park bus which helps you up to 2200m. They do not run that bus if the weather is risky and you can at least get advise from them the day before you buy the ticket.

For more adventurous guided activities in this area you can contact http://www.nevadensis.com/ and for planned self guided hiking holidays http://www.walkalpujarra.com/ is a safe bet.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia
reviews: 2,531
2. Re: Trip alone to Mulhacén

TallinnGirl:

I would not advise going up by yourself. There are always unexpected situations that may make this dangerous.

Granada, Spain
reviews: 4
3. Re: Trip alone to Mulhacén

i would advise that you get in contact with Trek Sierra Nevada. They seem to be friendly, informative and know what they are talking about.

Granada, Spain
4. Re: Trip alone to Mulhacén

Thanks for the recommendation GranadaInsider!

TallinnGirl:

Looking out of my window I can see that there is still quite a lot of snow in the high mountains. It's not everwhere, and it's melting fast, so I'm sure that it would be possible to walk up to Mulhacen, but you would probably need to cross some fairly large snow fields. The best place to go to for up-to-date information is the information point in Capileira. See:

www.treksierranevada.com/information-centres

In summer, I would say that it is normally safe to climb Mulhacen by yourself, if you take the Microbus service from Capileira - there are quite a lot of people climbing the mountain, and you can just tag onto a group if you're worried about being alone. Also, if you have told the bus that you will want a lift back down in the afternoon, and you don't turn up, they will raise the alarm. In good weather it is a straight-forward walk up to the summit, although walking boots are strongly recommended, as it's very rocky. Having said that, due to the altitude, you always want to come properly prepared for a change in the weather and conditions (fleece, waterproof coat, hat, gloves, etc.).

Apart from the question of the snow, I'd say that Mulhacen isn't really the best walk to do in the Sierra Nevada if you're only planning on doing one big walk. The landscape is in some ways fascinating, and the views can be great, but it's also quite monotonous, as pretty much nothing grows there.

Some possible alternatives if you want to go quite high up into the Sierra Nevada, but want to experience a more varied landscape:

treksierranevada.com/trevelez-siete-lagunas.…

This is a steep climb, but you'll be below the snow line at this time of year, and the countryside is more interesting than the walk up to Mulhacen. If you're really fit you can carry on up from the siete lagunas to Mulhacen, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it makes it a very long climb.

Another option is:

treksierranevada.com/vereda-de-la-estrella.h…

This is one of the classic hikes of the Sierra Nevada, and takes you up a beautiful valley with views up to Mulhacen and Alcazaba. Lots of people do this walk, so if anything happens there will be people around.

Have look around on my website, and feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 1
5. Re: Trip alone to Mulhacén

Thank you all for the replies!

One month I made the trip. Finally I didn't go up to Mulhacén, because the weeather condition was not the best.

I am planning an other trip for next year and I will use your links and advises.

Thank you again :-)

6. Re: Trip alone to Mulhacén

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, March 02, 2013