We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Friendly Hiking?

Which Mill Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
valencia
reviews: 17
Dog Friendly Hiking?

Does anyone know of any really great trails.We're heading up for Xmas and love to hike with the critters. I heard of the Tourist loop on the back side of Muir Woods, but do they allow dogs?

Thanks ahead!

5 replies to this topic
Rocklin, California
reviews: 20
1. Re: Dog Friendly Hiking?

Google for books on hiking w/dogs - there's at least one that covers the foothills and parts of No. Cal, but not sure about Muir Woods or others in that area. I do know they exist, though, as my sister has hiked w/her Newfs in that area..

Lassen National...
reviews: 11
2. Re: Dog Friendly Hiking?

Yes, lots of great hiking with dogs! China Camp used to be a great place. They are officially closed now, so there won't be restrooms. Marin headlands is beautiful. Marin is very dog friendly. I suspect Muir woods will not be dog friendly. Any State Park will not allow dogs on non-paved trails or beaches. We like to take our dog to some of the dog parks too. It's a different experience for him being a "mountain dog."

dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guide…

visitmarin.org/visitors_and_residents/pet_gu…

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: Dog Friendly Hiking?

Check North Bay section here: http://www.bahiker.com/doghikes.html

Federal, state and Marin Municipal Water District trails (which is Marin Headlands and Mt. Tam): if dogs are allowed it is on leash only. Off leash is generally permitted on fire roads only.

Lassen National...
reviews: 11
4. Re: Dog Friendly Hiking?

Yes, good point about the on/off leash. We usually keep our pup on leash when traveling. The fire roads in the area are quite beautiful. They were probably logging roads at one time.

Mill Valley/Marin...
5. Re: Dog Friendly Hiking?

I just stumbled upon a long section on parks and dogs in Marin County at the site marincountyparks.org.

Reply to: Dog Friendly Hiking?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted