We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Toronto to Mt Rushmore this May.

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Driving from Toronto to Mt Rushmore this May.

Looking to drive from Toronto to Mt Rushmore this May. We do have small dog and are looking for help with places to stay that are pet friendly and sights to see. We are interested in History of the area, caves and of course fishing!!. Any help would be appreciated.

SD

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 12
1. Re: Driving from Toronto to Mt Rushmore this May.

Rapid City has several pet friendly hotels, those being the La Quinta Inn and Suites, Holiday Inn Rushmore Plaza and A Family Inn. All four lodges in Custer State Park allow pets for an additional $10 a night fee. We have stayed several times at Blue Bell Lodge in Custer State Park and absolutely love this resort. These are the ones I am aware of. However, I am sure many of the hotels and cabins accept pets as we see many tourists with dogs all the time. I have included the Custer State Park resort web site and a web site for the Keystone/Hill City/Custer lodging choices for you to check out.

http://www.custerresorts.com/about/overview/

http://www.hillcitysd.com/

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
2. Re: Driving from Toronto to Mt Rushmore this May.

When is your trip planned for in May? Hopefully, it is in late May, as some attractions are not open or on limited hours. The ones operated by the national park service will be open, but early May could have some iffy weather. You just never know.

Here is my short list of must sees in the area:

Badlands

Mt Rushmore

Crazy Horse

Custer State Park

Wind Cave

Jewel Cave

Devil's Tower

Custer State Park is a great fishing spot. Sylvan and Legion Lakes are good spots. Trout fishing is popular. Here is an informational link.

…sd.gov/state-parks/…fishing.aspx

The monuments have a fascinating history, particularly Crazy Horse. To me, its story is even more fascinating than Rushmore.

If you haven't already done so, be sure to order a travel guide from travelsd.com for helpful trip planning tips.

Have a great trip.

toronto
3. Re: Driving from Toronto to Mt Rushmore this May.

We are planning for May 11th onwards . Do you think that would affect us? Also do you know if our Ontario fishing licences are good in South Dakota? Thanks so much!

Custer, South...
4. Re: Driving from Toronto to Mt Rushmore this May.

Most places will be open by May 11th, but not all of them. I do not believe your Ontario fishing license can be used for South Dakota fishing. You can go to gfp.sd.gov/fishing-boating/fish-licenses.aspx for fishing license details. In Custer you can purchase your fishing licenses at Custer Bait & Tackle, Common Cents Convince Store, Custer True Value and Custer State Park.

At www.custersd.com you will find that Custer is centrally located to all the major attractions in the Black Hills including Jewel Cave (15 min away), Wind Cave (30 min away), Custer State Park (5 min away), Crazy Horse (5 min away), Mt. Rushmore (25 min away), Needles Hwy (10 min away), Mammoth Site (40 min away) and Wild Horse Sanctuary (55 min away). Right in Custer we have Flintstones Theme Park, National Museum of Woodcarving, Grizzly Gulch Mini Golf, The Grand Magic Show and many more!

There are numerous shops, restaurants, hotels/motels (that are pet friendly), cabins, campgrounds, bed and breakfasts, parks, and friendly faces! For outdoor lovers we have several lakes, many hiking and biking trails, rock climbing, golfing, disc golf, swimming, horseback riding, ATV trials, chuck wagon dinners, and hunting and fishing. For more information please visit our website: www.custersd.com and find us on Facebook!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
5. Re: Driving from Toronto to Mt Rushmore this May.

As the Custer Chamber said, I highly doubt your licences would be good in SD. I would plan on purchasing an SD license when you arrive.

The weather may be an issue for you, but this winter's been so mild, it's tough to say. If you can plan your trip a little bit later, it may be helpful, but if not, you can take your chances. It may very work out fine. Snow is actually possible in May, however.

Enjoy your trip.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
6. Re: Driving from Toronto to Mt Rushmore this May.

How long do you have for this trip? Toronto to Rapid City already can take 3 days (1500 miles). Here's a site for petfriendly hotels on your way http://www.petfriendlyhotels.com/hotels/usa/

Edited: 7:36 am, April 12, 2012
toronto
7. Re: Driving from Toronto to Mt Rushmore this May.

On google maps I was told it is a full day drive about 2400kms to Custer.??

toronto
8. Re: Driving from Toronto to Mt Rushmore this May.

If it does take 3 days are there any nice sights to see inthe US along the way or nice places to stay aside from the busy big cities??

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
9. Re: Driving from Toronto to Mt Rushmore this May.

Yes. It says 1 day, 1 hour, equating to 25 hours of driving. How long are you planning to take to get there? Three days would be ideal each way, as Tet stated. Less than that would really be pushing the envelope, IMO.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
10. Re: Driving from Toronto to Mt Rushmore this May.

Well, there's Chicago, Madison. Wisconsin Dells, stop at the visitor center at Mississippi River (great views) just across the WI/MN border and there's Corn Palace in Mitchell. There's Badlands NP and Wall before you reach Rapid City.

On any Road Trip forum you'll be advised to drive no more tha 500-600 miles per day and make regular reststops. Those online travelplanners don't count for heavy traffic, stops and road works. And count on roadworls on your way.

Tet