We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip from Denver to Mt Rushmore& Yellowstone NP

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springwood NSW...
reviews: 1
trip from Denver to Mt Rushmore& Yellowstone NP

We will be in Denver on 13th August& fly out again on 20th August.

We want to hire a car and travel to Mt Rushmore and crazy horse then across to Yellowstone. Is this possible in this amount of time? Has anyone done this trip? In need of advice re trip, car hire, accommodation & sightseeing. There will be 4 adults travelling.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 253
1. Re: trip from Denver to Mt Rushmore& Yellowstone NP

We have done that trip but had previously been in Yellowstone. A lot of people will tell you just to concentrate on SD because lots to do there but if you have your heart set on seeing both then here are some suggestions.

August 13- arrive in Denver and if early drive the 7 hours to Keystone, SD.

We like the K Bar S Lodge while others recommend the Roosevelt Inn.

August 14- Mt. Rushmore, drive by Crazy Horse, Custer State Park- eat lunch at State Game Lodge for delicious bison stew and homemade pies.

August 15- Drive thru Deadwood and visit Mt. Moriah Cemetery, Devils Tower and on to Cody, WY- maybe see rodeo that night. (Cody Cowboy Village, the Cody and BW get good reviews- we stayed at Cody Cowboy Village)

August 16- Yellowstone National Park- here is a website with the must sees-

many people concentrate on Old Faithful and Lamar and Hayden Valleys for wildlife- park is the size of a small state and there is much to see and do- call Xanterra for in park lodging- Canyon area is most central-

www.yellowstone.net/topten

If no in park lodging then stay in West Yellowsone, MT- we like Three Bear Lodge.

August 17- Yellowstone National Park

August 18- Yellowstone National Park- drive thru Grand Tetons and stay in Jackson Hole (check out Lexington Inn, Rustic Inn or Wyoming Inn for lodging)

August 19- Long day drive back to Denver

August 20- fly home from Denver.

Enjoy your trip!!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
2. Re: trip from Denver to Mt Rushmore& Yellowstone NP

My personal opinion would be to focus on one place or the other within your one week time frame. Since you are flying into Denver, I'd focus on SD.

Your flight times would have a bearing as well. Since you will have only 7 days, I would figure on subtracting 2 just getting there and back.

Denver is roughly 6 hours from Custer. To me, by doing both places, you'd spend a lot of time in the car. I don't know how you feel about that, but if you enjoy being active and getting out for some hikes/walks (even short ones), you won't have too much time. All of these areas are best experienced outside.

Peachbelle's plan is busy, but workable if you don't do too much hiking.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip, and let us know if we can help in any other way.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
3. Re: trip from Denver to Mt Rushmore& Yellowstone NP

Hope your Denver flight isn't directly from NSW. In that case you won't be driving for 7 hours that day.

Springwood NSW...
4. Re: trip from Denver to Mt Rushmore& Yellowstone NP

Thanks very much for your detailed information, it is a big help in trying to plan our trip. We will be arriving in Denver from Durango at 12.39pm so I don't think we would drive all the way to Keystone that day. I thought somewhere around Cheyenne perhaps?

We would like to be off the road before dark as we don't know the area and not used to driving on the right.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out it is much appreciated.

Springwood NSW...
5. Re: trip from Denver to Mt Rushmore& Yellowstone NP

Thanks very much for your input it is much appreciated. We arrive in Denver from Durango at 12.39 pm so would be picking up a car from the airport. We won't be able to travel far that day but thought we would drive out of Denver and stay overnight somewhere so we could get an early start in the morning.

We won't be doing a lot of walking as we are an older group and two of our party are not very active.

I was hoping to be back in Denver by the 19th as we fly to Vancouver at midday on the 20th.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Springwood NSW...
6. Re: trip from Denver to Mt Rushmore& Yellowstone NP

No we are flying to Denver from Durango.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
7. Re: trip from Denver to Mt Rushmore& Yellowstone NP

Cheyenne may be too close to Denver, maybe try Lusk.

pittsburgh, pa
8. Re: trip from Denver to Mt Rushmore& Yellowstone NP

I'm so amazed that this question was aked. My husband and I are planning to travel from Denver in August also. Our trip includes Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton National Park. The suggestions above are very helpful but our trip then continues to Bryce Canyon Utah, Grand Junction Colorado and Mesa Verde Colorado before returning to Denver to visit our grandchildren. We have as much as 17 days for this trip. I know this is quite extensive, but does anyone have suggestions?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 253
9. Re: trip from Denver to Mt Rushmore& Yellowstone NP

luvswiss,

Hello- going to Pittsburgh to visit daughter tomorrow. Enjoy your trip!

We have been to Mt. Rushmore and YNP and GTNP. I posted a sample trip plan for the other question earlier. We are going to Grand Junction, Arches NP and SW Colorado for 8 days in early September. Are you going to Arches or Bryce?

Here are some ideas-

Day 1- arrive in Denver

Day 2- drive to Keystone, SD- 6-7 hours, Mt. Rushmore night program

Day 3- Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park

(order a Black Hills travel guide on go online at www.travelsd.com)

Day 4- Deadwood, Devils Tower

Day 5- Cody- musuems and rodeo

Day 6- YNP

Day 7- YNP

Day 8- YNP

Day 9- YNP

(here is a website for the must sees in the park- www.yellowstone.net/topten)

Day 10- GTNP

Day 11- drive to Arches or Bryce???

Day 12- Arches or Bryce???

Day 13- Mesa Verde NP

Day 14- San Juan Parkway

Day 15- Grand Junction

Day 16- drive to Denver

You might also want to post this on the road trips forum. Tet and Wings who post on the forum have done these road trips and they are a great source of info.

Also need to get reservations in Black Hills, YNP, GTNP and SW Colorado ASAP because it is vacation season and many people visit the parks, etc. at this time.

pittsburgh, pa
10. Re: trip from Denver to Mt Rushmore& Yellowstone NP

Thank you, Peach Belle. I will take your suggestion about the road trips forum. Enjoy your trip to Pittsburgh.