We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in the area?

Which Frederick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Parkland, Florida
reviews: 20
What to do in the area?

Planning on a trip with my two kids (ages 10 and12) in late March to go the National Park sites in the area. Going to Monocacy, Harpers Ferry, Catoctin Mountain, Antietam, and Gettysburg in the area. Aside from national park sites, are there any other can't miss things to do in the area?

14 replies to this topic
Parkland, Florida
reviews: 20
11. Re: What to do in the area?

Hey Irish........ Me things you have misjudged me....... Totally been back........... Totally checking into all the recommendations. Thanks so much.

Tentative Itinerary so far

Fri March 21 Drive in from Baltimore. Dinner at Family meal. Stay at Hampton in Frederick

Sat March 22 Harpers Ferry. bike the CO canal up to Brunswick VC and then back. Dinner at Volt

Sun March 23 Antietam in the Morning. Catoctin Mountain in the Afternoon. Lucky Corner for Dinner

Mon March 24 Eisenhower and Gettysburg (I already have tickets). Ayze Meze for Dinner

Tue March 25 Monocacy in the Morning. Great Falls in the afternoon as head to Washington Dc for the last 5 days of the trip.

They are all day trips of course but there is always down time and alternative activities. Love some of the restaurant recommendations and incorporated them. Will look into the Black Hog as BBQ in Florida isn't so good so that may be a better option then something like Lucky Corner..... Kids don't care for trains...... Love the idea of Maryland Heights. Will try to work that into the day at Harpers Ferry. Love the Boonesboro recommendation. Will drive through and see the monument on the way from Antietam to Catoctin.

Edited: 7:41 pm, December 10, 2013
Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 12
12. Re: What to do in the area?

Great itinerary and solid restaurant choices. If you don't know already, Family Meal and Volt are owned by Bryan Voltaggio of Top Chef fame. Ayse Mezze is also great. Lucky Corner is good, however, if you have the time and the money, Tasting Room is not to be missed.

Bethesda MD
reviews: 15
13. Re: What to do in the area?

It's been a while, but if memory serves I prefer the canal path upriver (west) from Harper's Ferry over the downriver (east) portion. The path is on the WV side from HF west, crosses an old railroad bridge at HF, and then proceeds east on the MD side. Crossing the bridge is safe and fun but involves some carrying up and down stairs. Biking is almost always easier heading downriver -- there's a slight gradient, and the wind's usually in that direction too. The Brunswick Visitor Center's not much, and it's a bit of an uphill haul from the canal path since you need to climb out of the river valley. Putting all that together, unless you have a reason to want to go uphill into Brunswick, I'd suggest starting your ride heading west/upriver. (The Brunswick train museum, which is next to the VC, would be a better reason than the VC to make that uphill haul, but you say your kids aren't into trains.) If you have a lot of time after you get back to HF, then you can cross the bridge and continue east. Or at that point you can return or lock the bikes and, if you want, cross the bridge on foot, and hike Maryland Heights as mentioned. www.hikingupward.com/omh/marylandheights/

Edited: 12:48 pm, December 12, 2013
Clarksburg, Maryland
reviews: 14
14. Re: What to do in the area?

My kids love Adventure Park USA in New Market, not far from Frederick. The outside rides will be closed, but they have laser tag, bumper car, high ropes etc that 10-12 year olds might enjoy.

http://adventureparkusa.com/home.php

Reply to: What to do in the area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted