We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in the area?

Which Frederick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Parkland, Florida
reviews: 20
What to do in the area?

Planning on a trip with my two kids (ages 10 and12) in late March to go the National Park sites in the area. Going to Monocacy, Harpers Ferry, Catoctin Mountain, Antietam, and Gettysburg in the area. Aside from national park sites, are there any other can't miss things to do in the area?

14 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 36
1. Re: What to do in the area?

Something different would be luray caverns. But you have a pretty busy vacation

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 10
2. Re: What to do in the area?

Sounds like you'll be pretty busy as is!

There's not much to see/do in Frederick but there are some good restaurants: Volt, Tasting Room, Acacia, Wags, Family Meal, etc... and wineries nearby (Black Ankle, Sugarloaf Mountain). Not sure if they'll be options with kids.

Some great hiking trails nearby too. I recommend Maryland Heights...it's across the river from Harpers Ferry and it offers stunning views of HF...March would be a perfect time to do it, since the leaves won't be blocking your view from the lookout point.

Maryland
reviews: 6
3. Re: What to do in the area?

http://www.civilwarmed.org in downtown Frederick

www.hikingupward.com/omh/marylandheights

Edited: 1:04 pm, August 22, 2013
Washington DC...
reviews: 160
4. Re: What to do in the area?

Your kids might like the train activities in the area. The Roads & Rails Museum (roadsnrails.com) in Frederick has several train displays. Brunswick has a Heritage Museum with exhibits: odel Railroad Room, A Railroader's Life in the 1990s; History of the C&O Canal. Walkersville has train rides throughout the year in vintage 1920s passenger coaches but that's only May through October. There are quite a few horse riding stables in the area as well, but I can especiallly recommend Free Spirit Stables at Rushing Winds Farm 10 minutes north of Frederick: http://www.spiritstablesmd.com. It's a horse rescue farm with about 37 ponies and horses and, by appointment, you can give the kids a great experience in the stables and a chance to ride the horses in the ring. There's also the C&O canal locks on the pathway from DC to Harpers Ferry.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
5. Re: What to do in the area?

Don't know length of trip and weather can be very iffy at that time of year for outdoors stuff. DC is just down the road from Frederick

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 51
6. Re: What to do in the area?

You could visit Boonesboro, Md, which has a number of tourist attractions. http://www.town.boonsboro.md.us/, including the first monument ever built to honor George Washington (erected without any pre-planning by the citizens of Boonesboro when they heard that the city of Baltimore was building a monument to Washington, so that theirs would be first).

Frederick, Maryland
reviews: 95
7. Re: What to do in the area?

Depending where you are coming from...if they haven't seen many waterfalls Cunningham Falls is a nice hike to the falls. Also, if anyone has an iphone (and probably works on other devices) there are a lot of free apps by the park service, etc., for Civil War sites, really helpful when you are out there and tell you where things are and what happened when. Depending where you are staying some good adolescent friendly restaurants are Coal Fire Pizza on Rt. 26, my teens love Cafe Rio (like a California Tortilla) by the movie theater on 85 (and, if either are girls there is a little consignment shop called "Plato's Closet" right there, mine love it), in Gettysburg there is a great little diner called "Avenue." Downtown Frederick has lots of nice places, some mentioned above; if you want simple and kid friendly there is a 5 Guys but it is on the canal, which is cool to walk around. There is also a great BBQ place called Black Hog- looks like a little bit of a sketchy place to park but I promise it isn't, they just took a risk and opened at the other end of Market Street from the hotter places.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
8. Re: What to do in the area?

Come back with some more details like length of trip. You are going north, south and west of Frederick. Each of the places can be a day trip by self. As stated weather is very variable for outdoors stuff. If you have good weather, then a bike ride along the C&O Canal from HF is a great day trip. Little further East is Great Falls, VA.

('d probably skip Monocacy if you are doing both GB and Antietam.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 50
9. Re: What to do in the area?

If they haven't come back since August I wonder if they ever will..:)

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
10. Re: What to do in the area?

Irish

Totally missed the age on this post!! But guess still relevant since March hasn't arrived yet.

Reply to: What to do in the area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted