We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dulles to Frederick?

Which Frederick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Dulles to Frederick?

What is the easiest way to get from this airport to Frederick? If I take a bus/train, do I have to go into DC first?

TIA

6 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Dulles to Frederick?

Easiest--either rent a car, or pay a taxi/car service upwards of $100 for the 40-mile ride.

As to the second question--yes, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. If you get lucky enough to fit the limited timeframe of connections to Frederick from downtown Washington--*AND* you make all your connections perfectly, best-case scenario is about three hours of travel from the time you step to the curb at Dulles.

There really is nothing practical in between these two extremes, unless you have someone in Frederick willing to do a little bit of driving to pick you up.

What day of the week/time of day are you arriving at Dulles? Where in Frederick do you need to be? Is there anyone who might be able to assist with a drive of perhaps 10 miles to get you?

Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Dulles to Frederick?

Thursday at 5 :)! Yes, I see I'll have to rent a car. I'm there for a wedding and don't want to trouble the family. Is it going to take forever to get from Dulles to Frederick at that time of the evening? Thanks so much for the good answer, tubman!

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,499 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Dulles to Frederick?

Yes, you will be driving in rush hour traffic. I would definitely take VA 267 to RT 15 to get to Frederick instead of trying to navigate through 495 and 270. Stop in charming Leesburg, VA for dinner before you finish your drive.

Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Dulles to Frederick?

Thanks you Mirage, that sounds like a good plan.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,499 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Dulles to Frederick?

No problem. I recommend Fireworks Pizza in Leesburg if you plan to stop there on the way.

Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Dulles to Frederick?

Thanks! I'll remember that.

Reply to: Dulles to Frederick?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted