We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to D.C. without driving

Which Frederick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
reviews: 62
day trip to D.C. without driving

During a weekday in April I want to do sightseeing in D.C. I will have a car but I see the Shady Grove station's lots fill up early. Is there bus service from Frederick to this station? If not, what other choices are available? Bus service from Frederick to D.C.?

Thank you very much for any advice.

3 replies to this topic
gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
reviews: 44
1. Re: day trip to D.C. without driving

There is a bus from Hagerstown and Frederick to the Shady Grove station (MTA 991), as well as MARC train service from Frederick. Schedules for both options can be found on the MTA website.

However, you may want to try posting on the DC forum with your question. They might have some other options or suggestions.

Atlanta
reviews: 62
2. Re: day trip to D.C. without driving

Thank you. I appreciate your reply and advice.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 12
3. Re: day trip to D.C. without driving

If you take the MARC, you'll be using the Brunswick line:

…maryland.gov/services/…brunswick.cfm

There are stations located in downtown Frederick and Monocacy which is located behind a shopping center south of the city.

Since the MARC train is a commuter train, there are limited trains to and from DC in the morning and afternoon.

There are only 3 trains that leave from the Frederick area: 5:12 AM, 6:05 AM and 7:10 AM. (times are for downtown Frederick station)

Return trains to Frederick leave Union Station in DC at 3:10 PM, 5:15 PM and 6:30 PM.

So if you can make that work (and want to get up that early), the MARC is probably the best way to go.

The 991 shuttle bus only picks up at the Urbana park and ride which is located south of Frederick off of 270.

Here is the info for it:

…maryland.gov/services/…991_sched.cfm

Reply to: day trip to D.C. without driving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted