We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for local activities

Which Frederick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Virginia
reviews: 7
Suggestions for local activities

Staying in the Gaithersburg area for a family wedding in June. Looking for something to do on a Friday morning--several couples in their 20's and 50's. Will have cars, so travel up to 60 minutes is OK. Would like suggestions for lunch, also. Sightseeing, history, moderate activity, etc. None of us is familiar with the area, so we are willing to entertain all suggestions.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 13
1. Re: Suggestions for local activities

I noticed you posted in the Frederick forum (about 1/2 hour from Gaithersburg), but you also mention that travel up to 60 minutes is ok. Is there a specific reason you're thinking about Frederick?

Harpers Ferry, WV is a great combination of sightseeing, history and nature about 45 minutes away. What time can you get started and what time do you need to be back in Gaithersburg?

http://historicharpersferry.com

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 12
2. Re: Suggestions for local activities

Agreed with Tubman. Harper's Ferry is a good choice, although I was there 2 weeks ago and much of the town is hidden by scaffolding (urgh! this happens to me when I am in Europe, too!), so just be warned that it might not be as scenic as it usually is.

As for Frederick, there isn't much to see and do here, but it would be worth a half day to walk around the downtown area for shopping, eating and drinks. There is a minor league baseball team for the Orioles in town called the Keys and much of their games have fireworks afterward....it might be something to consider.

I also recommend Gettysburg, PA, Washington, DC, Annapolis, MD and Baltimore, MD. All should be within an hour (depending on traffic) from the Gaithersburg, MD area.

If everyone would be up for it, I would recommend tubing on the Potomac River. There is an outfitter called Butt's Tubes located just outside Harpers Ferry that will put you on the river in a tube. You can also bring a cooler stocked with your favorite beverages (alcoholic or not) while you float down the river. It's a blast.

Edited: 10:18 am, May 18, 2010
Maryland, USA
reviews: 135
3. Re: Suggestions for local activities

Maryland capital Annapolis would be fun, Washington DC is always good. Can you really narrow down likes and time frame. I can easily think of hundreds of things.

PA
reviews: 35
4. Re: Suggestions for local activities

Growlers Brew Pub in Gaithersburg is a great place for lunch. www.growlersofgaithersburg.com

reviews: 39
5. Re: Suggestions for local activities

The URL for the National Park Service site for Harper's Ferry is www.nps.gov/hafe

ALSO ...

You have two other sites around Gaithersburg in the NPS ...

www.nps.gov/choh

www.nps.gov/mono

reviews: 39
6. Re: Suggestions for local activities

I assume that you mean you will be in Gaithersburg for a June 2011 wedding and need something to do on a Friday.

Yes, Growler's is a good place to eat. I used to work in that same building when it was a flower and garden shop.

Across the street from Growler's is the Gaithersburg Community Museum and Train Park. Providing the budget holds up a little less than a year from now ... they are open Thursday through Sunday, 11 am to 2 pm.

7. Re: Suggestions for local activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 27, 2011