We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with children in December?

Israel
reviews: 17
Traveling with children in December?

We are trying to plan a road trip for the end of December, from Phoenix, AZ to New Mexico, Four Corners, maybe Mesa verde or even the Arches park. We will be traveling with three young children so can't be driving too many hours a day. Could anyone suggest a reasonable itinerary, with the "must sees" for kids, and especially places to stay (I know Christmas may be busy)?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
1. Re: Traveling with children in December?

Mesa Verde is wonderful to see with snow on it! During the winter the only cliff dwelling open is Spruce Tree house, but the musuem is open and the Mesa Top Ruins road is open. We also like to visit Far View Ruin. Either stay in Cortez or Durango.

Visit www.nps.gov/meve for more information and hours.

Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: Traveling with children in December?

Thanks! you seem to be THE expert in these areas!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
3. Re: Traveling with children in December?

Thanks. I lived in the 4 Corners region for many years, and have travelled the SW for most of my adult life.

I have posted on some of your other posts in other forums.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 13
4. Re: Traveling with children in December?

I would consider a stop at Canyon de Chelly near Chinle, AZ, if your kids are all school age, consider hiring a local guide to take you down into it in a 4x4-your kids will enjoy-if the weather is fair. Mesa Verde can be a physical challange to see the good stuff and is difficult to do with kids in winter. Chaco Canyon south of Bloomfield is easily driveable with short easy hikes to ruins. Aztec Ruins in Aztec, NM is also easy for kids. Then you are 45 min to Durango and the Polar Express Train for a lifetime memory in pajamas. A visit to Bar D Chuckwagon and Trimble hot Springs to top off the visit there. Add a Ski Lesson day if you have time. Then on up to Canyonlands for the panoramas that you can refer to seeing every time you see an old black and white (and color) cowboy movie (nearly a hundred movies filmed in part there) together.

5. Re: Traveling with children in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 14, 2009