We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for two days in the area

Pennsylvania
reviews: 4
Suggestions for two days in the area

Leaving Moab the morning of August 29th with two nights to spend in the Mesa Verde/Durango area before heading towards Denver.

How much time to allow for the Mesa? Considering it on the 29th, then something else to fill the day of the 30th. Thought about the Silverton Narrow Gauge but not sure if I want to do a whole day train ride.

Wife might enjoy a chuck wagon type dinner.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Loveland, Colorado
reviews: 28
1. Re: Suggestions for two days in the area

You can easily spend 2 days in Mesa Verde, especially if you camp in the park. However, you can also see it all in a day as well.

As for things to do after that. The Silverton train is really fun. Silverton is a really cool old town that has that "old west" feel to it, but it's become very touristy. Ouray, Durango, and Telluride are also viable options. All three are great towns and are relatively close by. The trip to Ouray is beautiful, the mountains are just stunning!

Pennsylvania
2. Re: Suggestions for two days in the area

Would you take the train or just take a day and drive to those towns you mentioned?

Pennsylvania
3. Re: Suggestions for two days in the area

Here's the latest and (maybe) final itinerary.

We'll be leaving Moab the morning of the 29th, staying at the Far View that night. Next night will probably be in Ouray.

Questions - arriving at Mesa Verde around noontime on the 29th will we be able to get tickets for Cliff Palace and Balcony House? We could see some of the park the next morning if need be before we drive to Ouray.

With everything closing at 6:30PM what does one do in the evening when staying at the Far View ?

Thanks!

hudson valley,ny
4. Re: Suggestions for two days in the area

only the tours close at 6:30.... You can drive the mesa loop to see all the overlooks and vist the Farview sites till dusk.(around 8-8:30).

We arrived in the park around 4:30.. First, We stoped at the visitors center and got our tickets for the next day for Balacony house and Long House. ( The cliff Palace tour is the most popular and you really don't get to explore the sites to well) Then We did the Spruce tree House self guiding tour fist as it closed at 6:30. We spent the rest of the evening driving the Mesa top loop and visited Farview sites.. Head back to the lodge and had dinner at 9PM... The next day we did the Balcony house at 10AM and the Long House at 3PM.. which gave us enough time to drive out to the Wetherill Mesa and do the self guided tour of the Step house before our 3PM tour... After the tour we drove to Durango( 1 hr.) for an overnight....I reccommend The Durango Lodge!! It is right in Historic Downtown. Contintial Breakfast included. Pool, Hot Tub.. and walkable to all the restruants... We ate in the Ore... Best steak and Lobster we had in Colorado!!!!

On the Silverton Narrow Gauge, you can take the train to Silverton and go back to Durango by Bus.....

We did not take the train!!! ( don't like sitting that long on a train. But thats just me!!) We drove to Ouray instead....

You will not be dissapointed with whatever you do at MV and will enjoy the Silverton/Ouray area...

Enjoy ... Doe.

hudson valley,ny
5. Re: Suggestions for two days in the area

Sorry,, I forgot to mention.. Yes, you might be able to get tickets for a late afternoon tour!!! Give it a try.....

Pennsylvania
6. Re: Suggestions for two days in the area

Thanks, but your itinerary won't work for us.

We would like to see as much as possible the first afternoon and, if need be, catch something we missed the first thing next morning then head on to Ouray for overnight Staying in Durango would mean we'd miss a lot the next day because we're staying at Mt Princeton Hot Springs Friday night.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
7. Re: Suggestions for two days in the area

Arriving in the afternoon at Mesa Verde, you may or may not be able to get tickets for one of the tours. When I was there last year, you could only get one of the tours per day, either Cliff Palace or Balcony house. These usually sold out in the morning, but you may be able to get tickets to Long House on Wetherill Mesa, which would be awesome!

My plan for 1/2 a day: visit Spruce Tree House and the museum there. Drive the Mesa Top Ruins road, stop and see all the stops. Visit Farview Ruins and stay there for sunset. Listen to the quiet of the mesa.

Pennsylvania
8. Re: Suggestions for two days in the area

CasaAzul, thanks. We may just have to choose Cliff Palace of the Balcony House to see the morning we leave.

I like your suggestion for the first afternoon & evening!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
9. Re: Suggestions for two days in the area

Either Cliff Palace or Balcony House would be fun, but I prefer Cliff Palace. I have spend many hours in both places and enjoy the feel of Cliff Palace. You can see other ruins from there and imagine what it was like long ago!! Sometimes you can hear people talking across the canyon!

Have a great time!

10. Re: Suggestions for two days in the area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, September 07, 2009