We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Trip

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland
Anniversary Trip

My wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary in Atlanta November 17th through the 19th. I have already booked the flight but have been dragging my feet on hotel and car rental. We would be interested in site seeing during the day and having a nice dinner / hitting the bars at night. Based on this, where is the best area of the city to stay (i.e. downtown, midtown, buckhead, other). Also, based on where you recommend staying should we get a rental car or is the public transportation going to be fine for us? Finally, any restaurant recommendations for a nice / romantic dinner? Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
1. Re: Anniversary Trip

I really believe that midtown is the best place for visitors to stay. Afte the business people go home for the night, Downtown is nothing but tourists and panhandlers, and there really aren't any good restaurants or bars there. Buckhead is also a good option, with great restaurants and hotels, but to me it doesn't offer much that's unique or historic and is basically a shopping district. Midtown is pedestrian, has a huge array of bars and restaurants, and is more interesting. I recommend seeing a show at the Fox Theater if possible.

You can get around fairly well using public transit if you just want to see midtown, downtown and Buckhead. If you want to go into mor residential neighborhoods, where a lot of unique shops, bars, and restaurants will be located (such as Virginia Highland, which has a great nightlife) then you may want to rent a car. Taxis are also fairly plentiful.

As far as restaurants go, there are so many that it's hard to make a recommendation without guidance as to price range, cuisine, atmosphere, etc. My favorite is Rathbun's followed (or preceded) by drinks at neighboring Krog Bar. In midtown, Ecco is excellent and I also like the Globe, though it's a little more casual. The best reviewed newer restaurant in Atlanta is Restaurant Eugene. In Buckhead, Aria and Antica Posta are very romantic. If you want to go out in Virginia-Highland, Dish and La Tavola are romantic with excelent food. For a great trendy scene for dinner and drinks in midtown I like Two Urban Licks and sister restaurant One Midtown Kitchen and in Buckhead I love BluePointe. I think Emeril's is good, and I really like Atlanta Fish Market, thought it's pretty noisy. All of these restaurants have websites, so you can go online and check out the menu and atmosphere. Hope this helps.

Roswell
2. Re: Anniversary Trip

Hello, Just would like to wish you both a Happy Anniversary. After reading the responses you are getting on where to spend your anniversary, I had to write. I have lived in northern georgia for 6 years and Atlanta may have some fun night spots to go to at night, I wanted to reccommend you get a rental car and travel up into the mountains. There is so much to see there and do. There is also Helen. The town is beautiful and it also has a website you could look up.

A few years ago, my husband and myself took a weekend to ourselves and went to a cabin in the Blue Ridge mountains. It was the best thing we have ever done. It was peaceful, no phone, no cable, but they did have a vcr.

As far as a Restaurant to enjoy eachothers company, We love this restaurant called Fratelli Di Napoli. They also have a website you could look up and see what it is all about. Depending on what type of food you enjoy. If you appreciate a fine Italian meal, then this is the place to go. But show up with a very big appetite. The dishes are a huge quanity, due to the fact that they serve it as family shared style. And I promise, you wil be eating it for a few days after, there is so much. But as far as sight seeing, northern Ga has man things to do and see. Lots of Antique stores, flea markets and gold mines that are also fun to do and If you have never apnned for gold, this is one thing you have to try. The ebst for that is in Dahlonega. Please let me know if I could be of better service.

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 23
3. Re: Anniversary Trip

I would say you definately want a rental car. Atlanta is so big, and while you may take cabs at night (for drinking purposes) you will want to drive around during the day.

My favorite dinner spot is Two Urban Licks. It is in an old warehouse that when you pull up, you will wonder why the heck anyone sent you here! But once you go in, you will be pleasantly surprised!

We had some friends in town last weekend and took them to the Coca Cola Museum downtown. It was pretty fun. Nothing overly exciting, but you get to taste the flavors in other countries- and make sure you have a camera b/c you will be making some funny faces after trying some of the flavors!!

I say stay in mid town. Bars are close so you can walk and it has a lot to offer. Close to Two urban too!!!

If you like country music, lthere is a bar called Wild Bills in Gwinnett county. It may be a bit of a drive. But check their website on what is going on. It is the largest country club in the southeast and has a bull to ride. I don't care for country music, but still get a kick out of this place when I come.

Otherwise, if you are looking for quiet romance, I think Helen or the mountains would be great. It is Oct. 21 today and the leaves just started changing. So they may be beautiful when you get here.

Good luck and Happy Anniversary! We just celebrated our first, and nature celebrated wtih us with an earthquake in Hawaii!

McDonough, south...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Anniversary Trip

Happy Anniversary!

I live south of Atlanta suburbs and am a 3 year transplant. I like Atlanta and there is a lot to do and see despite what some people say - I've now seen just about every major site. I've also been to may other cultural attractions in other cities (New York, Wash DC, Gatlinburg, Nashville, Chicago, Monterray, San. Fran. etc.). In light of this, here's my numbered (in order of preference) recomendations for site seeing & one recomendation for a meal in addition to your romantic dinner.

If you can afford it, rent a car - Atlanta has a lot to do but most is spread out m(with several attractions grouped around certain areas).

Romantic dinner with unique style - Try Dante's Down The Hatch in Buckhead area. (nice & unique atmosphere, good service & good bar).

Unique but tasty other dinner option (not expensive) - Try the Flying Bisquit near a nice park for a romantic stroll in the Midtown area called Piedmont Park (you can park car for free on the street near Piedmont park off Piedmont Rd. most days).

Site seeing in order of preference:

1. For pure entertainment: Georgia Aquarium, CNN studio tour and Centenial Olympic Park - all with in walking distance of each other in Downtown area. (recomend: walk the part of Centenial park that has the water/stream effect & concrete "quilts" - south of fountain area- & time your walk to include the free light & fountain show by fountain rings that happens couple hours). The aquarium is the big draw here, park is nice & studio tour worth doing becuse it's close by and different).

2. For scenery: Go to Stone Mountain (East of City Building area just outside I-285 called "the Perimiter"). Be sure to catch the Laser show at night up against the stone face.

3. For culture: The High Art Mus. is world class & has an exibit from the Louve in paris right now.

4. For nature: The Atlanta Botanical gardens in very impressive for a botanical gardens (and I've been to many). Its also connected to Peidmont Park and both the gardens & the Park has nice city skyline view scenery (could be romatic).

5. For nice/tourist drive - drive up from Capitol area onto Peachtree St. (not W.Peachtree) all the way through midtown into Buckhead area ending near Phipps Plaza/Lenox Square area. Note: various buildings - Fliteron type building like time square in NY & Hard Rock cafe with car crashed into side of it, Margarett Mitchael House (Gone with Wind writer), Fox Theater, High Museaum, ESPN Zone, various shops, etc. - all along this as you travel this "maijn street" type street in Atlanta.

Note: I have not been to MLK exibits but plan to soon so I can't speak on them.

Have a happy time!

New York City, New...
reviews: 5
5. Re: Anniversary Trip

Hi! We just got back from a great day in Atlanta, looking for more things to do, hope this helps you: the Botanical Gardens are very nice to stroll thru, with a light cuddly sweater for Nov, even better and you will also think ahead and bring a blanket as you can walk right to Piedmont Park and lay in the sun before driving over to the Flying Biscuit, a few minutes away for some 'fill the entire plate up with delicious Southern cooking cooking! It was very casual, but very good. Another place, also near by and with a patio, and quite charming, (they were having a bridal shower upstairs when we there), was Agnes and Muriel's. A little more quieter less diner than the Flying Biscuit, excellent service and food! Congrats!

New York City, New...
reviews: 5
6. Re: Anniversary Trip

Other dinner suggestions: Eclipse di Luna (Miami Circle location)is a great place for tapas, sangria and latin music. Friends of ours had recommended it (they went there for a first date and he later proposed here) very good, and we also enjoyed for tapas Tu Tu Tango (220 Pharr Rd in Buckhead) we had an awesome meal here, GREAT wine. Another nice for dinner, trendy with a southern accent was Rathbun's as mentioned above (I think) we also liked. Amazing banana peanut butter cream pie!!!!!! Enjoy!

7. Re: Anniversary Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, August 26, 2009