We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eclectic Atlanta- Little 5 points and Virginia Highlands

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nyles, Texas
Eclectic Atlanta- Little 5 points and Virginia Highlands

JAtlanta has mentioned these 2 interesting neighborhoods. They seem to be right next to Midtown. What would be the main streets that pass through these areas for a quick walking tour ? I am staying right across from the Botanical Garden in Piedmont Park.

Thank you.

"I would also suggest that you walk through Little Five Points, a more bohemian area with lots of unique shops, as well as the Virginia Highlands, another neighborhood with cute boutiques. L5P has a great outdoor restaurant, the Brewhouse, which has excellent, inexpensive food and a huge patio perfect for people watchign. This neighborhood has people from all walks - bikers, mohawks, yuppies, everything."

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
reviews: 8
1. Re: Eclectic Atlanta- Little 5 points and Virginia Highlands

Ponce De Leon basically intersects both neighborhoods. From Ponce (as it's known) if you walk down Highland you'll first come to Neighbor's and Crown and Prince bars on your left. Next block you have some cool shops, Ben and Jerry's, and the venerable Atkins Park Bar (#1 Jagermeister bar in Atlanta for years) again on your left. Next block on the left is Dark Horse Saloon, Limerick Junction Irish bar, and Blind Willy's blues bar, All-American Roadhouse Grill (or something like that) Then there's 2 blocks of residential houses until you get to Virginia where there's tons of bars/restaurants such as Fontaine's/Moe's and Joe's (Bamanascar fav), Taco Mac, etc plus shops too.

Back at Ponce, if you head away from the city after Highland the next street is Moreland. Take a right. You'll pass Freedom Park after a few blocks and after a few more you'll be in the heart of Little 5 Points. LOTS to see and do. Bars/restaurants/funky shops/Variety Playhouse (best concerts in ATL IMHO) Personally I wouldn't walk from Ponce to L5P late at night but once you're in the neighborhood it's all good.

To get there withoutn a car, take the MARTA train to North Ave station and then catch the #2 bus which goes up and down Ponce roughly every 30 minutes.

Hope this helps!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 76
2. Re: Eclectic Atlanta- Little 5 points and Virginia Highlands

The Virginia Highland Summerfest is this weekend. It's an arts festival with food, music, booze. It's probably not a great place for a quiet walking tour this weekend, but if you'd like to check the area out, I would suggest walking through Piedmont Park towards the Park Tavern, which is located at the intersection of Monroe and 10th Street. From there you will be able to see Woody's Cheesesteaks. The road that runs behind that is Virginia Avenue. You will just walk east along Virginia for about a mile, and a good portion of that walk will be through the festival. The Virginia Highlands are - surprise - centered around the intersection of Virginia and Highland. There are several good shops and bars at that intersection. You can continue south along Highland, though a residential area, and the shops, bars, and restaurants will resume in a few blocks. I just came from that festival and it's a bit of a zoo, but an exciting place to be today.

Also, I just went through Little Five Points about 2 hours ago. There was a Hari Krishna parade going on through the neighborhood that meant traffic was chaotic. I think it was breaking up as I was leaving. To get there from the Va-Hi area, you will continue on Highland to Ponce, take a left on Ponce, and then an immediate right onto Moreland/Briarcliif (the street name changes at that intersection). About 3/4 of a mile south of Ponce will be Little FIve Points. I recommend the Brewhouse for a great place to get a beer, sit on the patio, and watch people walk by.

Nyles, Texas
3. Re: Eclectic Atlanta- Little 5 points and Virginia Highlands

Thanks for the info. I studied some maps of the area and will take the #2 bus down Ponce to get to L5P. I will only be able to spend Wed. afternoon and evening so I will miss the weekend fun.

I will post a trip report when I return.

Thanks a lot.

Troll

4. Re: Eclectic Atlanta- Little 5 points and Virginia Highlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 16, 2009