We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed on where to stay with a teen

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort walton Beach...
reviews: 51
Advice needed on where to stay with a teen

Hi all.

We (family of three with a teen) live about six hours from Atlanta and have been a few times (including once last fall for an all day trip - great fun). My husband also attended Georgia Tech for part of his undergrad. We're coming up for a long weekend in late March (four nights). We'll be in town from Friday evening until Tuesday morning. Saturday, our daughter has a college visit at Oglethorpe. Sunday is for Six Flags (we have passes). Monday is open. We'd like to take a look at Agnes Scott, go to IKEA (we should be closing on a new house soon), and definitely hit a few "big city" items like Whole Foods because we live in a small coastal town.

As far as hotels, we like Hyatts, Hiltons, Westins. We love the Omni hotels too. We're not opposed to independent places as well. I like places where if something does go wrong, it will be taken care of. My husband loves having a package with breakfast and really loves hotels with concierge floors. We also like places where we can walk to restaurants and shops. We will have a car but once we get back to the hotel, we like to be able to venture out on foot. As far as price, under $300 with everything would be good.

Based on all of that, I've come up with the Westin Buckhead (only place I can find with concierge on the weekend), 12 in Atlantic Station, and two independent hotels - the Artmore and the Georgian Terrace.

Any other suggestions or advice?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 73
1. Re: Advice needed on where to stay with a teen

Midtown is a more enjoyable neighborhood for being able to walk to shops, restaurants. Buckhead is not as pedestrian, although from the Westin you could walk to the malls (Phipps and Lenox).

Twelve in Atlantic Station is a nice, big, modern hotel, but the location leaves something to be desired. Atlantic Station is interesting in that it's a mix of shops, restaurants, and a movie theater in a very walkable development. It is not interesting in that it has the same shops that you would find in any suburb in any city of America. Gar. Target. Banana Republic. Bath & Body Works. There are a few unique places (Fabrik, Bill Hallman) but not many. There aren't great restaurants, and restaurants that are pretty good are more expensive than they ought to be, like Rosa Mexicano. I go to Atlantic Station to see movies, or go to Target, but that's out of convenience. Nobody would accuse it of being unique or charming.

The Artmore is a good location for MARTA, and it's a cute hotel (haven't seen the rooms though). It is a couple of blocks' walk from the more happening areas of midtown, which centers on Peachtree St. Have you looked into Lowes, Four Seasons, Renaissance, Regency Suites, Marriott Suites (and Residence Inn)?

Georgian Terrace is a nice option too, though I don't know anything about the rooms. I'd suggest reading the TA reviews on that.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 57
2. Re: Advice needed on where to stay with a teen

The W in Midtown won't work? That would be my first choice. Piedmont Park is steps away as it lots of restaurants and places within walking distance. There's valet parking as well as parking in the Colony Square garage underneath. The Georgian Terrace is in Midtown as well so would be a good choice. Both are fairly close to Trader joe's and Whole Foods is not far away. I'd choose Midtown over Buckhead. It's curious to see the Artmore in your list - a good location but concierge? I do like the location of the 12 at Atlantic Station and think it would be a good place to stay with teens. Lots to see and do just outside the door (including movies) and convenient parking so your car is easy to get to.

3. Re: Advice needed on where to stay with a teen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 27, 2014