We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety at MLK Center?

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
alabama
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
safety at MLK Center?

Hello. Our child is doing a school project on Martin Luther King Jr. and I would love to take her here. But I heard it's in a bad area. Can anyone tell me how the area is currently? (We are white) Thanks for any info.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: safety at MLK Center?

You're fine in the daytime. The whole area is a National Park Service Historic Site with plenty of Park Rangers and visitors. Make sure you see more than just the Center, including the birth home and Ebenezer Baptist Church.

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/atlanta/kin.htm

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
9,890 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: safety at MLK Center?

Yes, just fine during the day. You may pass some homeless people but no need to worry. Park rangers all over the place.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
84 reviews
3. Re: safety at MLK Center?

You'll be fine.

You may also want to stop at the Sweet Auburn market

www.sweetauburncurbmarket.com/index.html

alabama
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: safety at MLK Center?

Thank you! I look forward to sharing this with my family.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,496 posts
328 reviews
5. Re: safety at MLK Center?

Be sure and watch the video in the Museum run by the NPS and then tour the museum, boyhood home and Ebenezer Church. The video is an excellent documentary of the civil rights movement and is only about 15-20 minutes long.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: safety at MLK Center?

I'd second the vote for a visit to the Sweet Auburn Curb Market....there are some great counter service lunch vendors in there......Smash Burger and Sweet Auburn BBQ are my favorites.......makes for a great lunch spot in combination with a visit to the King Center.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
9,890 posts
79 reviews
7. Re: safety at MLK Center?

I like to eat at Noni's when I'm in that area. Great casual Italian - sandwiches and pastas. Lots of atmosphere.

Edited: 9:53 am, January 22, 2013
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
74 reviews
8. Re: safety at MLK Center?

Ps. It doesn't matter if you're white. In out city violence is color blind. In fact most is black on black. I've visited that,area and its fine

9. Re: safety at MLK Center?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 24, 2014