We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday Evening rush hour

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
reviews: 1
Friday Evening rush hour

Is rush hour any lighter on Friday evenings? I will be traveling thru Atlanta to McDonough GA on 2/1 around 5:00 or 6:00 PM. Here in MN they are a little better due to 4 day work weeks for many.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 70
1. Re: Friday Evening rush hour

If anything, it's a little heavier. What direction are you coming from? Strongly consider using I-285 around town, especially if you're coming from I-75. However, you may still expect to see some backup once you get on I-75 south of town.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
2. Re: Friday Evening rush hour

Agree - Fridays are worse. I would stop and have an early dinner south of the city and try to time it to pass through Atlanta at or after 7pm.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 60
3. Re: Friday Evening rush hour

Fridays are often worse because people are heading out for the weekends. Fridays heading south (toward Florida) can be very bad on holiday weekends.

6 pm traffic will be better than 5pm. If you are worried about it, stop and grab a bite to eat or go to Piedmont Park and walk around and enjoy the city skyline and a beautiful park for a while. I'd much rather DO something for an hour or so than sit in the middle of rush hour traffic.

Take a short detour and have the car hops serve you at the Varsity. Or go by Krispy Kreme and watch them make hot glazed donuts and try one or two. Walk around Piedmont Park. All of those are within a few blocks of your route. If you are traveling from the north, delay your arrival in Atlanta by an hour or two. Go to Lookout Mountain and see seven states from the overlook, or even go See Rock City. Stop at Chickamauga Battlefield and walk around and stretch your legs.

The good news is that 75S out of Atlanta isn't very bad traffic compared to other areas of Atlanta so if you decide to grin and bear it, it won't be too bad.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 70
4. Re: Friday Evening rush hour

J, you mean north of the city - the OP is going TO McDonough.

onemore - I-75 S can be worse some days than anything north anywhere above Eagle's Landing.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 60
5. Re: Friday Evening rush hour

Just my personal opinion. I often choose to leave the airport and head south on 75 and then head cross-country instead of dealing with the traffic of 285/20 east - because the 75S traffic is lighter than that option. I travel for work and think the 75S traffic is MUCH lighter than 75N, 285N and/or 85N in afternoon rush hour. I've learned the hard way that it is better (for me) than to get through town by 4ish or just stop and wait it out. Again, just my personal opinion and choice.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
6. Re: Friday Evening rush hour

stevedec is right - I should have said stop for dinner north of the city. Once you get south of the city, the battle will be won.

Saint Paul...
7. Re: Friday Evening rush hour

very helpful

Saint Paul...
8. Re: Friday Evening rush hour

Thank you

Saint Paul...
9. Re: Friday Evening rush hour

Thanks

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
reviews: 61
10. Re: Friday Evening rush hour

like to add my 2 cents worth--i go to hawks games evry week n variuos nights--take 85 S to the connector.Been doing this for a long time.I find that the traffic can be heavier on friday, but it starts earlier say around 3 and ends earlier say around 6---usually the connector is cro0wded thru almost 7--games start at 7:30 so im usually in the trafic between 6 and 7