We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 12
Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

I lived in Atlanta (apartment in Virginia-Highlands and later in Inman Park) from 1977 to 1982. My husband and I met in Atlanta in 1979 and eventually moved to PA in 1982. We don't think we've been back for a visit for around 20 years. I did a search on this forum and found a thread from a few years ago that mentioned lots of restaurants and places that aren't around anymore. This site was linked in that thread: http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/index.htm and I still need to explore it. I wondered if anyone can supply links similar to this that have information about "bygone Atlanta"?

Are any of the "Peasant" restaurants still in business? We used to go to the one in Midtown on Peachtree, in Colony Square and in Phipps Plaza (I think one was called the "Country Peasant", another maybe "Uptown Peasant"-- they each seemed to have a different, very tasty signature bread they'd serve.) My single girlfriends and I used to love Capo's Cafe in Virginia-Highland (I know it's been gone a while), and wondered if anyone remembers Cafe Erewhon with Cy Timmons?

We used to regularly visit Mary Mac's Tea Room-- especially with out of town guests-- also, The Mad Italian, Pepe's (Mexican food on Ponce), Empress of China (near Dunwoody?), Zesto's and Eat Your Vegetables in Little Five Points, Franco's Pizza, The Dessert Place (Virginia-Highland), Good Ole Days (home of the flower pot sandwiches) on Peachtree, Bahou Container (Mediterranean food-- at Lenox Square I think), Dante's Down the Hatch in Underground Atlanta, and many more I can't remember at the moment.

We're beginning to plan a trip to Atlanta in the Spring and wondered if any old-timers might know if any of the restaurants I listed are still around. Also, I wondered what the weather is like in March or April in Atlanta. I seem to remember that Atlanta was about a month ahead of us in the north in the Spring as far as warmer temperatures and blooming plants and shrubs.

44 replies to this topic
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
reviews: 59
31. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

There was a British theme place called Reggies on the 2nd floor. But no food spots up there anymore

Philadelphia...
32. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

I figured that the Omni had changed drastically. I know it wasn't called Reggies. I sure would love to know what the restaurant I'm thinking of was called, but after 30 years, I guess it's not a surprise I can't remember.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
reviews: 59
33. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

I've been going there since 78 and that's the only place that's been on the 2nd floor. Inside the hotel there was a place called unisphere with big windows overlooking the street. I'm a major hawks fan and have season tickets for over 30 years

Philadelphia...
34. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

For anyone who's interested, I kept searching for the name of the upscale restaurant at the Omni which overlooked the ice rink and found an old article from Creative Loafing here: clatl.com/atlanta/… The name of the restaurant was "Mimi's". I discovered its name while reading readers' responses to the great article.

Philadelphia...
35. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

My edit time ran out and I really wanted to encourage Atlanta "old-timers" to read the Creative Loafing article linked above and here: clatl.com/atlanta/… It's entitled "30 years of the good, the bad and the weird-as-hell-- A special feature to celebrate CL's 30th birthday" and it's just what I was looking for. Quite a walk down Memory Lane!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 256
36. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

Great article from Creative Loafing. It brings back a lot of memories and so does the old TA posts. Thanks for sharing!!!

I remember going to Junkman's Daughter in Little Five Points and thinking what is this person doing!!! Still going strong after 40 years and has really unique clothing and an even cooler clientele.

37. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, January 27, 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
38. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

Ole Hickory B-B-Que is only one location now (Tucker). No more Lums hotdogs. I think Benehanas is still there. The Varisty has expanded in several areas (thanks to huge mega suppost from Rolaids and Tums). Morissons is long gone. Johnnys Hideaway is still there and hasn't changed a bit !!! Really same bartenders, same disco ball, same nawgahide seats !! Chick Fil a has restaurants now, not just in the Malls.

Los Angeles...
39. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

The restaurant at Colony Square was called The Country Place. I used to cocktail waitress there. The other restaurant was The Pleasant Peasant. I think the owners also had one more place that was more high end. I used to work at Trappers on the Park, and my sister was a bartender at Vickerys - both in Midtown - both are now gone. A lot of the fun places are gone - The Cotton Club was a great place to hear music. I went back after 20 years and didn't recognize the city at all. Very crowded now.

Atlanta
40. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

I often think about some of my favorite places to frequent. Zasu's near Piedmont Hospital was one favorite spot, good food and music. Fitzgerald's on Peachtree Center Avenue, good food, larger than life cocktails. Claude's on International Blvd, awesome food and live entertainment. Dugans on Ponce, largest beer selection, 150 yr old Grand Marnier and delicious Nachos (tons of beef, lettuce, tomato, cheese, fresh jalapeño peppers, and sour cream, this of course was before I developed a fear of 'ground beef'). Azio's in Buckhead was a favorite lunch stop, Caesar Salad with fried oysters. There are so many more places I wonder about. Hoping to recall all them.

Reply to: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted