We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Milledgeville interesting

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dunfermline
reviews: 15
Is Milledgeville interesting

I`m visiting Georgia in February. I`m spending four days with friends in Americus and afew days in Savannah. I`m wondering whether to drive from Savannah to Atlanta without an overnight break. I gather it`s a bit boring. Would an overnight stop is,say,Milledegville be worthwhile?

Atlanta
reviews: 13
1. Re: Is Milledgeville interesting

It is only 4 hours from Savannah to Atlanta and I would not recommend you stop in Milledgeville. I grew up not too far from there and can't think what a tourist would do in Milledgeville in February . . .

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 69
2. Re: Is Milledgeville interesting

Milledgeville does have a few historic spots. The old Governor's Mansion and Memory Hill cemetery as well as Andalusia, the home of Flanery O'Connor.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 200
3. Re: Is Milledgeville interesting

Milledgeville is worth it if you're a southern literature fan (like myself). I find it worth it for the Flannery O'Connor history.

Marietta, Georgia
4. Re: Is Milledgeville interesting

I think it is worthwhile. The downtown is cute and vibrant due to the presence of Georgia College about one block from downtown. Except for Andalusia, everthing is walkable. As mentioned, the old governor's mansion and cemetary are worthwhile. When my son was in school there, we stayed at a wonderful bed and breakfast downtown....I can't recall the name but I think it is the only one.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
5. Re: Is Milledgeville interesting

There's also a neat restaurant downtown in what was a bank building - Aubri Lanes.

georgia
reviews: 158
6. Re: Is Milledgeville interesting

When I do a road trip, I like to look for something interesting along the way to have a break from driving. You could stop at any of the sights mentioned above as part of your drive. Andalusia can be a bit hard to find because the sign from the road is small. The house and grounds can be interesting if you know a bit about Flannery O'Conner. The Old Governor's mansion offers a good tour of an interesting house and its history.

Atlanta, Georgia
7. Re: Is Milledgeville interesting

If you are interested in literary history, Milledgeville is a gem!! There you can tour Flannery O' Connor's former home where she did some of her writing, you can see the ancestors of her beloved peacocks -- and you can even see her crutches. Also if you are interested in Southern history, there are museums and in fact, Milledgeville was briefly the state capitol back in the 1800s. If you do visit, our family highly recommends the restaurant, the Pickle Barrel! Hope tihs helps!

Memphis, Tennessee
8. Re: Is Milledgeville interesting

Yes I agree - Milledgeville is lovely in the late spring or summer, with everything in full bloom and daylight hours to hop off the highway for a half an hour or so and look around. In winter, though, smaller southern towns aren't worth the trouble (just saying). Plus it's a fairly smooth drive from these locations. Not too many service stations for gas (petrol) though so expect a sparse route on your drive.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 256
9. Re: Is Milledgeville interesting

The Old State House, downtown area and Flannery O'Conner's home-Andalusia are all must sees if visiting the area.

Ellijay, GA
reviews: 24
10. Re: Is Milledgeville interesting

Milledgeville is a neat little town. Prior posters have mentioned a lot to do there. Lake Sinclair is very pretty too. Eatonton is close by and also has wonderful restaurants such as Bone Island Grill and Hannahs.