We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Atlanta

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 19
Things to do in Atlanta

Hi! I will be at a conference in Atlanta in April. I will have a week off afterwards(spring break) and was thinking of staying there. What is there to do in Atlanta? I am basically looking for a restful vacation. Are the lakes, b&bs, beaches? Thanks!

Taipei, Taiwan
reviews: 6
1. Re: Things to do in Atlanta

Visit the GA Aquarium, go to the High Museum, see the Atlanta Symphony, shopping in Buckhead, visit Stone Mountain Park(don't know if laser show will be going as early as April), take in a Braves baseball or Hawks basketball game, go rafting on the Chattahoochee river (or just visit a park by it), see the World of Coke, play any of a myriad of golf courses, visit the local clubs for live music, check out malls, check out Six Flags over Georgia theme park (if open; may only be open weekends then), drive up to the North Georgia mountains and hike the Appalachian trail, drive to Social Circle and eat at the Blue Willow Inn (I assume this is still open), visit restaurants. Lake Lanier and Lake Altoona are dammed up lakes; these would be the only beaches. I haven't lived in Atlanta for a few years, so I'm sure there is plenty more to do that those who actually live there now can tell you. They would have to fill you in on b&b's, too. You would almost certainly need a car to get the most out of Atlanta.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
2. Re: Things to do in Atlanta

You're several hours away from any beaches but there are plenty of lakes. I usually go to Lake Oconee which is nice and relaxing. It's not very expensive to rent a house there or you can splurge and stay at the Ritz Carlton Reynolds Planation which is right on the lake.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 45
3. Re: Things to do in Atlanta

I can second JAtlanta's recommendation on Lake Oconee. Very nice and if you can splurge on the Ritz, it is very, very well worth it. My sister and her hubby have been twice and love it.

Atlanta is usually a lovely place in April, with the dogwoods and azaleas in bloom. A trip to Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain (over an hour south of Atlanta) is also a good idea. They have a lake with a beach, bike paths, a butterfly house, golf, etc. Roosevelt State Park (in honor of FDR) is right next door with plenty of lovely scenery.

Atlanta
reviews: 26
4. Re: Things to do in Atlanta

If you stay in Atlanta, there are planty of options.. I agree with all the above, but let me add trying to catch a show at the Fox Theater. Broadway shows and concerts are good bets here. Restaurants run the gamut and there is quality for just about every food type. Midtown is nice and Buckhead nightlife is always happening. Baseball, basketball and hockey are options. You could also take a short drive to the north GA mountains for a relaxing getaway.. Try Brasstown Valley resort or anything in Hiawassee.

New York City, New...
reviews: 19
5. Re: Things to do in Atlanta

Thank you very much for your advice! I did some research on Lake Oconee and have decided to visit. It looks very relaxing which is what I am looking for. I'm also looking forward to having a full english tea at the Rose Cottage. :-) Are the lakes open for swimming? Do you have any recommendations in terms of:

- bicycle rentals

- places to go for hikes

- horseback riding?

Also, do you know if there are any means of transportation to get to Pine Mountain from Atlanta (e.g. trains such as Amtrak, or buses such as Greyhound) or would I need to rent a car? Thanks again!

Calhoun, Georgia
reviews: 27
6. Re: Things to do in Atlanta

The only way to get to Pine Mountain would be to rent a car.