We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to Do- for couple in early 30s

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Things to Do- for couple in early 30s

My husband has a conference in Atlanta this weekend and Im tagging along.

I am looking for things to do during the day (by myself) and restaurants/ jazz clubs/ cover band bars to go to at night. I have a few questions.

1- Should I rent a car? Is is safe convenient to take the train during the day by myself? Are there a lot of sketchy neighborhoods I should avoid.

2- Does anyone have resaturant reccomendations? I would like to do a nice romantic restaurant 1 night, there seems to be a lot of posts about Banchanallia and a southern restaurant

(anything that locals like) another night

3- For nightlife, I was thinking of going to Blind Willies one night for Jazz and then to either an upscale club/bar (hip-hop is ok, but we prefer upscale/comfortable atmosphere... not too crowded, not too may kids etc...) I am also interested in cover bands, we like top 40 and 80's music. Does anyone know of a good cover band spot?

4- Also, my husbands conference is in the convention center area, but I am reading that this neighborhood is pretty quiet at night. what is a central location where we can get everywhere relatively quickly?

5- What are the best fine arts museums in Atlanta? I'm more interested in fine art than history museums.And can you take public tranportation to the zoo or botanical gardens?

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 13
1. Re: Things to Do- for couple in early 30s

1) The art museum is the HIgh Museum and its accessible by train (www.itsmarta.com). To get to the zoo and the botanical gardens you would have to take a bus or a taxi.

2)Blind Willie's is a blues venue. If you want jazz you'll want to go to Churchhill Grounds.

3) Bacchanalia is a good restaurant. Just make sure you make reservations early.

4) you could rent a car but eveywhere you go you will end up paying to park so it may be better to take a taxi. The train is a safe mode of transport but some places you can't get to directly by train and would have to supplement the train ride with a bus transfer.

New York City, New...
2. Re: Things to Do- for couple in early 30s

Thanks for the tips. Also, I am staying in the Buckhead area. Is that easily accesible to everything? Are there good restaurants/ bars to try around there?

Also, what time does the train stop running? Is it difficult to hail a cab at night?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 76
3. Re: Things to Do- for couple in early 30s

My thoughts:

1- Should I rent a car? Is is safe convenient to take the train during the day by myself? Are there a lot of sketchy neighborhoods I should avoid.

It depends on what you want to do. Many attractions are accessible by train, but you’ll find that most Atlantans drive their own cars, and some spots are difficult to reach using public transit. You’ll need to decide what attractions you want to see and use itsmarta.com or google maps to find out whether they’re easy to reach by train. This is a good guide compiled by user rackensack sketching out the MARTA accessibility of the major attractions:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60898-c97240/Atlanta…

As for neighborhoods to avoid, you won’t find yourself in any bad neighborhoods if you’re just going to downtown, midtown, and Buckhead and are going to tourist attractions, restaurants, etc.

2- Does anyone have restaurant recommendations? I would like to do a nice romantic restaurant 1 night, there seems to be a lot of posts about Bacchanalia and a southern restaurant

Please be more specific about the neighborhood, type of cuisine, price, atmosphere, etc. Atlanta has too many restaurants to make an informed recommendation without some specifics. Bacchanalia is the most expensive restaurant in town, but there are a number of excellent fine dining options. Also, I think TA is not the best source for researching restaurants. Aside for the destination experts, the reviews are written by people who have only spent a limited amount of time in the city and don’t have a full grasp on the dining scene. I prefer yelp.com or local publications like Atlanta Magazine or ajc.com.

3- Nightlife

I don’t know of any cover band spots, but for blues and jazz Blind Willy’s, Churchill Grounds and Fat Matt’s are good options. For other live music, check out creativeloafing.com

4- Also, my husbands conference is in the convention center area, but I am reading that this neighborhood is pretty quiet at night. what is a central location where we can get everywhere relatively quickly?

What convention center? For information on the difference neighborhoods, see the sticky entitled Downtown, Midtown or Buckhead at the top of this forum.

5- What are the best fine arts museums in Atlanta? I'm more interested in fine art than history museums.And can you take public tranportation to the zoo or botanical gardens?

The High Museum is the city’s primary museum, but you might also like the galleries in the Castleberry Hill art district. Yes, you can get to the zoo and Botanical Gardens using public transit, but would either have to walk a long way or take a bus. You should research this yourself on Google maps.

Is it difficult to hail a cab at night?

Yes, you’ll needto take the number for a cab company with you.

You have a number of other questions, but honestly you can find the answers to those yourself if you’ll just do a little research. I don’t mind offering assistance for questions that can’t be answered by a simple Google search, but you really need to do some ground work first.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
reviews: 69
4. Re: Things to Do- for couple in early 30s

great post j--I find www.chowhound.com an excellent restaurant guide blog for anywhere in the world

5. Re: Things to Do- for couple in early 30s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:32 am, May 23, 2012