We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend in atlanta without a car?

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
south
reviews: 22
weekend in atlanta without a car?

We have tickets to see Wicked at the Fox Theatre in May. Thinking about taking Amtrak to Atlanta instead of driving. What is the public transit situation in the city? We are definitely a suburban family and not well-acquainted with relying on buses trains & taxis. Our hotel reservation is the Indigo, but my hotel questions will be in another post. My question here is can we expect to enjoy a long weekend in Atlanta without our car or should we plan to drive? Thanks!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 45
1. Re: weekend in atlanta without a car?

For a long weekend, I think you could do it without a car.

MARTA's train system is Atlanta's main form of public transportation. It can take you to a number of places, such as Centennial Olympic Park, the new Georgia Aquarium (make sure you make online reservations), CNN Center tour, and World of Coke.

If you get tickets to a Braves game (which is something I highly recommend), you can take MARTA to the Five Points station and catch a bus shuttle to the stadium and back. The locals do this a lot.

If you all are into shopping at all, Lenox Square Mall and Phipps Plaza are both next to a MARTA station. There's also a number of good restaurants.

The newly expanded High Museum of Art in Midtown is also close to the MARTA Arts Center station. Midtown also has good restaurants. You can also walk over to Piedmont Park (lovely in spring) from the Midtown MARTA station.

The places you can't get to via MARTA are Stone Mountain Park, Zoo Atlanta (you could get a bus going there) and Six Flags. If those are place you want to go, you'll want to drive.

Hope that helps!

Calhoun, Georgia
reviews: 32
2. Re: weekend in atlanta without a car?

I think a different and fun restaurant that isn't very far away is Loca Luna. You may need to take a short cab ride. They have an outside eating area that makes us feel like we are in Latin America. I think the mural painted on the brick wall is supposed to be Rio. On Sunday nights they have a live Cuban band, of course that may have changed by the time you come. They serve different tapas, Spanish appetizers. The link is to the map on their website.

http://www.loca-luna.com/maps.htm

Of course, since you will be very close, you will have to check out the Varsity. It is a famous Atlanta fast food place. I just went to their website which is very fun.

http://www.thevarsity.com/

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
3. Re: weekend in atlanta without a car?

reina is right, you're just around the corner from the Varsity. And Hotel Indigo is supposed to be great, a boutique type hotel, very chic. I think because of your location you can do a long weekend without a car because you will be very close to the North Avenue Marta station. ($1.75 per person) You can walk to the FOX from the Indigo. Other than the Fox, I strongly recommend the new Georgia Aquarium. It is awe inspiring. To get there take the Marta train south to Five Points Station, go up one level and take the train west one stop to the CNN/Phillips Arena station. Follow the signs and when you exit the staion, Phillips Arena will be on your right. Walk past it and go right at the first intersection. You will be facing the Georgia World Congress Center. When you get to the Congress Center take another right and walk until you get to Centennial Olympic Park. The aquarium is across the park. Also CNN Center is right there and the tours of the studios are pretty cool too. And if the Braves are in town, they're a good value for your money and Turner Field is an entertainment destination in itself.

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
4. Re: weekend in atlanta without a car?

P.S. If you want to go to the aquarium, call the concierge at Hotel Indigo in advance and have them arrange for tickets for you, just to be sure. They are specified for entry at certain times, so tell the concierge what time of day you would like to go.