We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Atlanta from Boston

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Moving to Atlanta from Boston

Can anyone give their opinion on riverdale and union city as a place to buy a house? I'm looking to move to atlanta soon and have these areas in mind. I'm in healthcare so I will be looking to work at a major hospital, probably intown. Is the traffic reaaaallly that bad??

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 34
11. Re: Moving to Atlanta from Boston

Hi, Jordan23 -- have a basic idea of where you are...I am more familiar with the North Shore area & had some (rather rich :) friends in Beacon Hill ... but they moved :(.

Anyway, there are many areas in Atlanta that are really going through a period of redevelopment. Consequently, the real estate prices are not as cheap as they once were. However, you can probably find something to invest in.

I would definitely look inside the perimeter. (This is the loop of interstate 285 that circles the city). The medical centers you mention are going to be within the loop. The area around Emory (Druid HIlls, Decatur, etc.) is quite nice ... there are also many nice places outside the perimeter, but I'm not sure the traffic is worth it!

Boston
12. Re: Moving to Atlanta from Boston

THANK U ATLLaw!! I knew SOMEONE in atlanta didnt sit in 3 hour traffic everyday!! And thank u for the area clarification (druid hills). And you're right, not pricey compared to boston.

Thank u very much for the info. I think i have my mind set on may or june. I am glad to read your response. I'm not that scared of traffic, just dont want to sit in it every day:) NOt bad either, your 25 commute that is. Thanks again....

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 4
13. Re: Moving to Atlanta from Boston

You're welcome. You'll like it here. There are many options for places to live. A lot of people put up with long commutes to get a lot of house (or land) for the money. Traffic gets bad in the suburbs because the roads cannot keep up with all the growth. There are a lot of very nice close in areas (including those near Emory) where the commute is not a problem. Once you figure out where you will work, you'll find a place that's best for you.

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
14. Re: Moving to Atlanta from Boston

It's true about the difference in housing prices. Once again, if you don't mind driving a bit the prices for land and houses drops a lot. Unfortunately (or fortunately), Atlanta is growing so fast that land that was cheap last year will be about 50% more next year. In an effort to build a large home, our retirement home, my wife and I moved 60 northeast of the city to a little Mayberry of a town called Jefferson. We built a 3800 sq. ft. home on 5.5 acres, surrounded by woods and farms for just under $300,000. In the four years we've been there, the property value has increased 50%. And in Jackson county where we live, they have built more than 30 subdivisons, some of which are huge gold course communities, in the four years since we moved there. Atlanta is growing the same way towards the northeast and to the south. Before All is said and done, metro Atlanta will probably be all of north Georgia. Oh well, if that happens and our home appreciates as is has been doing, I think we'll sell out and move to Montana.

One good thing to come from the population growth is that intown neighborhoods that had become run down are now being remodeled and developed into lovely neighborhoods, including old industrial areas where factories and warehouses are being turned into condos and lofts.

Atlanta, GA
15. Re: Moving to Atlanta from Boston

golf course, not gold course.

Boston
16. Re: Moving to Atlanta from Boston

Thanks nuke44...and WOW!! SOunds very nice, 5 acres that is. I would like to do that eventually. I am 28 right now and I agree with you, if atlanta gets tooo busy/overcrowded, I will probably end up in Virginia or Florida. I did my first year of college in atlanta (back in 1996) and loved it and always told myself i would go back. I am just looking to buy a house, build some equity and acquire the "american dream", which is a little harder to do in boston if you're not making 100k/yr! Thanks for your opinion and info...

atlanta
17. Re: Moving to Atlanta from Boston

have a house for sale in Tucker-fairly easy commute to CDC-215K. If you want to send a private email, gdavidjones1@yahoo.com, I'll give the address and you can see online.

18. Re: Moving to Atlanta from Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:57 am, January 11, 2006