We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta to coast?

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
reviews: 4
Atlanta to coast?

Going to Atlanta in March and looking for a quick getaway to somewhere on the coast, straight from the airport - possibly Hilton Head/Savannah/Charleston (Am open to suggestions...)

Time is tight, so should we hire a car from the airport to cut down on touring time when we get there, or is a car uneccesary in those places and should we try train/plane?

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 102
1. Re: Atlanta to coast?

A plane from Atlanta to Savannah/Hilton Head or Atlanta to Charleston would probably be better. It is a good half day to full day drive, depending on how slow you drive and how many stops you make.

If you have never driven on our side of the road before, you may really want to consider the flight option.

I know Savannah and Charleston have tour buses to take you around the city. If you stayed in the center of the cities, the tourist section, you shouldn't have a problem getting around.

I would recommend you book your accomodations early, March is Spring Break time and very popular due to the weather.

Savannah, Georgia
reviews: 1
2. Re: Atlanta to coast?

To get to Hilton Head by plane, you would land in Savannah and go by shuttle bus to Hilton Head. There are no trains from Atlanta to any of those places.

March 17th is the Big St Patrick Day parade and party in Savannah. It's about one week of festivities. So, Unless you are planning to come after that weekend or at the very first of the month, you had better get your room all lined up SOON. Later in March until around April 20, both Charleston and Savannah are at the height of the azalea blooming season. It is well worth seeing. Fantastic!!

It would take you about 5 hours driving time from Atlanta to Savannah. If you got a room in the downtown Historic District, you wouldn't need a car unless you wanted to see the area outside of the District.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 76
3. Re: Atlanta to coast?

It is a long drive to Charleston and Hilton Head, so if you're going to be in the car that long anyway why not go to the beautiful Gulf Coast beaches of Florida and Alabama. These offer the white sand beaches and brilliant water you might envision. I would recommend the San Destin resort in Florida or Gulf Shores or Orange Beach in Alabama. It all depends on what your'e looking for - if it's a beautiful historic city with cultural opportunities, definitely go with Charleston or Savannah. If it's a gorgeous beach with a laid-back atmosphere and fresh seafood, go with the Gulf Cost.

Liverpool
reviews: 4
4. Re: Atlanta to coast?

Thanks to everyone replying. I guess the ideal would be to mix up the historic city stuff with a little of the coastal. Do I take it that there aren't really any beaches around Savannah? (5 hours driving wouldn't be so bad if it allowed for mobility while there - and I'm used to driving in the US and Europe.

Or maybe I'm looking too far afield - are there any nice places to chill a little nearer to Atlanta?

Savannah, Georgia
reviews: 1
5. Re: Atlanta to coast?

Tybee Beach is about a 20-25 minute drive from Savannah. It's not a large beautiful beach, but it's fun to walk on. The water in March will be too chilly to do any swimming.