We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From the airport to the westin peach tree

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Purmerend, The...
reviews: 118
From the airport to the westin peach tree

Hi,

In september we will arrive at ATL airport and stay 2nights in the Atlanta Peachtree (westin hotel)

Which MARTA train do we need to take and what does it cost ?Where do we need to get out ?

We will do Atlanta by foot and pick up a car at the airport 2 days later to start our georgia/tenessee/lousiana/florida trip.

We're planning to see the COCA Cola, Stone Mountain, Atlanta Underground and CNN.

Any tips / suggestions?

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 17
1. Re: From the airport to the westin peach tree

From the airport, get on the MARTA north/south line and get off at Peachtree Center station. Exit on Peachtree Street and make a right; the hotel will be a block or so on your left. MARTA is very easy to use -- only north/south and east/west, so you shouldn't hve a problem. You can see maps at www.itsmarta.com

For two days, I think you have a lot planned -- CNN and Coke are good choices for first-timers. You will need a car to get to Stone Mountain, which is on Hwy. 78 east. You may be disappointed with Atlanta Underground, although I understand they've added some new nightclubs, so it might be better, but the shopping has never been very impressive there.

Pick up a copy of Creative Loafing (or search it online), which is Atlanta's free weekly newspaper. It will have lots of information about whether there are any shows or activities you may want to see while you are here. It also has a good restaurant guide each week.

Some other good options on MARTA: The 10th Street station (north of your hotel) lets you off in Midtown, which has good restaurants and a big park (at 10th and Piedmont -- Piedmont Park) that is fun for walking and people-watching. The Arts Center station will let you off at the Woodruff Arts Center, which has the High Museum and the Margaret Mitchell House is nearby. I'm not sure which exhibit is at the High Museum right now, but you may want to check it out. If you want to shop, continue farther north on MARTA and get off at the Lenox station; Lenox Mall has a ton of stores to choose from. The Buckhead area there by Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza also has some fantastic restaurants, but you would probably need to take a cab because that area is not very walkable.

Keep in mind, your hotel is downtown, which is convenient to CNN and Coke, but it is not the most highly-populated area at night because it is primarily a business center. There's nothing to be worried about, but do pay attention and keep your wits about you if you are walking around after dark. It may be worth it to take a cab, rather than MARTA, if you are travelling between different parts of the city very late at night.

Near your hotel, the restaurants I recommend are Azio's (Italian), Ray's in the City(seafood), Pacific Rim (Japanese fusion), and Luxe (upscale American). A lot of people also like Dailey's, which has a good desert menu, but I've never been that crazy about it. Dailey's also has a cigar bar downstairs, which might be fun if you're looking for nightlife close to your hotel.

Have fun!

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 17
2. Re: From the airport to the westin peach tree

P.S. I think MARTA has visitor's passes which may be cheaper than individual fare; check the Web site I mentioned above.

Purmerend, The...
3. Re: From the airport to the westin peach tree

thanks olivia,

I think we skip the Stone Mountain Park since we will see quite a lot of other interesting things the weeks after Atlanta :)

We're travelling to Pigeon Forge to Nashville, Memphis, Natchez, New Orleans, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Fort Myers, Naples, Miami Beach.

I will print your email and take it with me to Atlanta.

Purmerend, The...
4. Re: From the airport to the westin peach tree

thanks olivia,

I think we skip the Stone Mountain Park since we will see quite a lot of other interesting things the weeks after Atlanta :)

We're travelling to Pigeon Forge to Nashville, Memphis, Natchez, New Orleans, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Fort Myers, Naples, Miami Beach.

I will print your email and take it with me to Atlanta.