We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and taxi companies in Bistrita

Which Bacau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East London, South...
reviews: 19
Restaurants and taxi companies in Bistrita

Hi all,

A friend of mine is travelling to Romania for work from South

Africa. He will be in Bistrita for a week, unfortunately not anywhere else, except for landing at Cluj Napoca airport. He will be staying in Hotel Gomar Lux in Bistrita.

I would really appreciate some recommendations from locals :-)

1) What are the best restaurants in Bistrita or near Hotel Gomar Lux?

2) What other attractions are there in Bistrita? I know this is not a major tourist city, but it was the only city I visited on my first trip to Romania and I am returning in September this year.

3) Is there a bookstore to buy a cookbook with Romanian recipes?

4) What is the name and number of a taxi company operating in Bistrita?

Will be very grateful for any information :-)

.Cheers

Rene

Edited: 3:05 am, August 06, 2012
5 replies to this topic
East London, South...
1. Re: Restaurants and taxi companies in Bistrita

Sorry, by accident posted under Bacau..

Maramures
reviews: 21
2. Re: Restaurants and taxi companies in Bistrita

I have been to Bistrita several times but mainly to be honest to pass through. Its tourist attractions are a bit limited however you are right on the doorstep for Maramures and Buchovina. There is also the Dracular hotel on the pass near there which sadly looks rather inoccuous but is supposed to be the place from which the book was inspired. In the cellar of the Dracular hotel is..................

I believe there is a bus from Bistrita to Borsa and Gura so if you have time these are options.

Sadly the rest of it i cant help you with.

Rob

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
3. Re: Restaurants and taxi companies in Bistrita

1) He could try Crama Veche restaurant ( http://www.crama-veche.ro/en ) or the one at Coroana de Aur hotel ( www.hotel-coroana-de-aur.ro/index.php… ).

Gomar Lux hotel is on the outskirts of Bistrita (about 8-9 km to downtown) but it does have its own restaurant.

2) Bistrita's main attraction is its small (but interesting) medieval quarter around Piata Centrala - with a large 14-15th century cathedral, old houses and narrow streets, some remnants of the city's old walls and fortifications (mainly Dogarilor/Coopers' Tower) etc.

3) Of course there are bookstores and they have cookbooks (although I doubt they'll be in English, if that's what you're looking for).

4) Here's a list:

http://www.taximetre.ro/taxi/bistrita/

East London, South...
4. Re: Restaurants and taxi companies in Bistrita

Wow thanks for the advice alterme, just what I was looking for.

On my first trip to Romania, Bistrita I stayed In Hotel Corona de Aur, also for business trip (my friend works for same company as I do) and I must say the food was really great, I liked it so much I found one of the recipes on line and make it at home, just love the chicken paprikash with polenta :-) Not too sure why they are staying there, might be closer to the factory where they will be working, which explains why it's on the outskirts of the town.

I think a Romanian cookbook in Romanian might be cool, you'd need the internet, but would make the cooking more fun :-)

Thanks for the link to taxi's, considering he's on the outskirts of town, will be very useful to him.

Thanks again Rob and Alterme

Australia
reviews: 45
5. Re: Restaurants and taxi companies in Bistrita

I can confirm alterme's recommendation of the Crama Veche restaurant. We were there in June and had an excellent meal in lovely surroundings.

Watch out for the world's least hard working band. They were very entertaining. We were there for about 90mins to 2 hours. For an hour of that they (2 blokes) sat around chatting. They then played 2 songs, packed up and left. They actually weren't bad for the few minutes they were playing.

We just got our hotel to call a taxi, and the restaurant when we were about to leave. Both times the taxis arrived very quickly, took us directly to where we were going and were cheap. I believe it helps to have a local business phone for you.

Reply to: Restaurants and taxi companies in Bistrita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bacau