We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pounds sterling or euros.

Which Qawra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
essex
reviews: 8
pounds sterling or euros.

lve been told that you can still use sterling in mmalta. ls this correct or should l buy my euros before l go or exchange once out there.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
reviews: 3
1. Re: pounds sterling or euros.

Some places might accept sterling but it is not the norm so you will definitely need euors. I'd say get some to start off with and then exchange some in Malta. Cheapest way to do it is just get money out of the ATM using a card that doesn't charge e.g. Nationwide's debit card. If your card does charge you then don't get out small amounts as it will charge you per transaction.

Malta
reviews: 9
2. Re: pounds sterling or euros.

Few places accept sterling! my advicxe change to euros!

Scotland
reviews: 1
3. Re: pounds sterling or euros.

Hello.... can you please help me I am so confused about what to take to malta and we go in 2 weeks time, some people have told us to take english pound and some said euro then i was told not all take the euro?????? please help?????????????

Thank you x

Newcastle
Destination Expert
4. Re: pounds sterling or euros.

YOu must be getting out of date information. The currency in Malta is euros. You will need euros to pay for anything and everything. Some people take sterling and then change it in Malta but you still need euros to pay for things.

My advise is to take some euros with you, then use the local ATMs to withdraw whatever cash you need. Be aware of what charges your bank makes on foreign money. The best card to use is the Nationwide card as they don't charge so far - they too are going to start charging before long but I believe at a lower rate than other cards. If your bank charges you for withdrawals then make fewer larger withdrawals

Enjoy your holiday

Scotland
reviews: 1
5. Re: pounds sterling or euros.

Thank you just as I thought x

Newcastle
Destination Expert
6. Re: pounds sterling or euros.

You're welcome

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 77
7. Re: pounds sterling or euros.

Commission free sterling travellers cheques are a good option too if you can get them.

Nationwide will be passing on 1% charge by Visa from 1st June.

United Kingdom
reviews: 8
8. Re: pounds sterling or euros.

Does that 1% charge from Nationwide (VISA) actually apply to Malta? I thought it was only for countries outside the EU

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 77
9. Re: pounds sterling or euros.

Quite right. It doesn't apply to Malta. See here for accesds to full list nationwide.co.uk/current_account/foreigntran…

Newcastle
Destination Expert
10. Re: pounds sterling or euros.

Thanks for than link arandora - very useful

Get answers to your questions about Qawra