We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is the AMtrak Main st Station/Staples Mill rd statio

Which Richmond hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 58
How far is the AMtrak Main st Station/Staples Mill rd statio

Hi

Arriving by Amtrak into Main st Amtrak station, and leaving Richmond by train for Charleston SC. We can catch the train at Main Street Station which goes to Staples Mill Road Station then wait 1 and a half hours for the train to Charleston. My question is how far are the stations, so I can decide if I just catch a taxi to Staples Mill Road Station.

Thanks

Jodi

Maryland
reviews: 5
1. Re: How far is the AMtrak Main st Station/Staples Mill rd statio

I believe you are mistaken. I don't think there is train service between the two stations. They are on separate north-south rail lines. Some long-distance trains pass through downtown Richmond, stopping at Main Street, while other long-distance trains (the majority of them) use a separate routing around the West side of the city stopping at Staples Mill station, which does not even route them by the Main Street area. I don't believe any tracks even connect the two stations.

I googled the names of both stations together, and found one reference saying that they are 8 miles (13 km) apart. Or possibly only 6 to 7 miles (10 to 11 km) apart.

Edited: 6:44 pm, January 03, 2011
Richmond, Virginia
reviews: 7
2. Re: How far is the AMtrak Main st Station/Staples Mill rd statio

I agree with the previous poster - I don't think there is train service between the 2 stations. Main St. Station is downtown and there are plenty of taxis available.

Sydney, Australia
3. Re: How far is the AMtrak Main st Station/Staples Mill rd statio

Thanks for the responses, on the AMTRAK site it gives you the option to get on at Main street station to Staple Mill Road and then onto Charleston, maybe they use a bus? I'll stick with a cab

194 Northeast Regional

Departs: 10:17 AM

Sun Jun 26 2011

Richmond, VA - Main Street Station (RVM)

Station News

Arrives: 10:45 AM

Sun Jun 26 2011

Richmond, VA - Staples Mill Rd (RVR)

89 Palmetto

Departs: 12:02 PM

Sun Jun 26 2011

Richmond, VA - Staples Mill Rd (RVR)

Station News

Arrives: 7:15 PM

Sun Jun 26 2011

Charleston, SC (CHS) Charleston, SC

Charleston

(CHS)

Station News

Duration: 7 hr, 13 min

Amenities

[Checked baggage] [Lounge]

Jodi

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
reviews: 1
4. Re: How far is the AMtrak Main st Station/Staples Mill rd statio

The train does leave Main St station and travels across town to Staples Mill station on some runs. It's probably the slowest possible way to get from one station to another because the train has to pass through Acca Yard, one of the largest train yards in the east. It's much faster to take a taxi the 8 miles or so over to Staples Mill station.

Edited: 12:06 am, January 04, 2011
Sydney, Australia
5. Re: How far is the AMtrak Main st Station/Staples Mill rd statio

Thanks 22Tango, we plan on staying downtown so we will just catch a cab and get the train at the other station. idn't fancy sitting around the station for almost two hours!

Jodi

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
reviews: 1
6. Re: How far is the AMtrak Main st Station/Staples Mill rd statio

You don't say where you are staying but the Main St station is at the bottom of a very steep hill, and most of the downtown hotels I'm aware of are at least part of the way up that hill, so if you've got a lot of luggage, you may also need a taxi to get to your downtown hotel.

Sydney, Australia
7. Re: How far is the AMtrak Main st Station/Staples Mill rd statio

Thanks 22tango

Haven't booked the hotel yet, thought I should book the train first to make sure we get there! A taxi to/from Main Street station will not be a problem.

Once I start looking at hotels I may need to get further advice.

Jodi

Richmond, Virginia
8. Re: How far is the AMtrak Main st Station/Staples Mill rd statio

I am on the same trip that you have booked right now. Leaving Charleston in the morn for the trip back to Richmond. Main St. Station is beautiful(my wedding reception was there) so please visit it. But definately take a cab to Staples Mill Station. Its just easier.

Chip

Somerset, New Jersey
9. Re: How far is the AMtrak Main st Station/Staples Mill rd statio

I have to get to the Linden Rowe Hotel in Richmond , Va. on Main St. I would like to take Amtrak from Newark, NJ station. Does it matter if I come into the Main St. or Staples Mill Rd. station from Nwk.

Thx

kay

Edited: 11:31 am, September 16, 2012
10. Re: How far is the AMtrak Main st Station/Staples Mill rd statio

Coming from the north, it is easiest and fastest to just get a cab from Staples Mill station. Although Main Street Station is several miles closer to your hotel, the train moves very very slowly from Staples Mill to Main Street. The cab will be faster.

If you are more concerned about budget than time, you could check to see if your hotel has a shuttle that would pick you up at Main Street Station. It is a little over two miles to your hotel from Main Street Station and much of it is uphill. I wouldn't recommend trying to walk it.