We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent Apartments Through Craigslist - safe?

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Rent Apartments Through Craigslist - safe?

Hi all,

My friends and I are going to Cambridge, Massachusetts for the summer, and we have found a few apartments on Craigslist and wondering if they were safe. We have also tried Airbnb but the prices were rather costly. Which other websites can you all recommend?

Thanks!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 100
1. Re: Rent Apartments Through Craigslist - safe?

Craiglist is notorious for people running scam advertisements, especially for rentals & real estate.

Perth, Australia
2. Re: Rent Apartments Through Craigslist - safe?

Thanks Kendrick! Do you know other websites which I can try? I'm currently on apartmentlist searching for summer sublets.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
3. Re: Rent Apartments Through Craigslist - safe?

Many, many students sublet their apartments for the summer months. Have you tried sublet.com ?

Whatever you do, do not wire money to anyone - that is usually a dead giveaway of a scam

Somerville...
4. Re: Rent Apartments Through Craigslist - safe?

I do not think Craigslist should be ruled out. I have lived in 4 apartments over the past 10 years and have found all of them through Craigslist, as have probably the majority of the young renting crowd in the Boston area.

If you are doing a sublet you may just want to do due dilligence before you sign anything. If you have any questions, find a friend in real estate or law and ask them to look over any documents.

Another thing you can do is find some real estate offices and go directly to them, they'll be more than happy to show you around.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
5. Re: Rent Apartments Through Craigslist - safe?

Yes, but the difference is the OP is in Perth, Australia, so probably doesn't know neighborhoods, reputable realtors, etc. and appears to be trying to do this all on line. I use CL all the time myself for a lot of things, but stand by my advice to the OP

Somerville...
reviews: 101
6. Re: Rent Apartments Through Craigslist - safe?

Craigslist is fine. As a landlord in Somerville (next to Cambridge), I use Craigslist as do some of my friends. There are some pitfalls to avoid and they are easy enough to navigate past.

1. Cambridge is quite expensive and you can get similar deals in Allston, Brighton, Somerville and Medford to name the surrounding towns.

2. As you are renting sight unseen, it may be best to go through a realtor, and these usually rent on Craigslist.

3. Brighton and Allston have many students and subletting is a good option in these towns.

4. If you feel a realtor is suspicious, you can easily contact http://www.realtor.com/realestateagents/ to see if they are legit.

7. Re: Rent Apartments Through Craigslist - safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 11, 2014