We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit in mid-March

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 47
Visit in mid-March

My son is a grad student at MIT, and I was thinking about visiting during my spring break in mid-March. We stayed at The Kendall in September and absolutely loved it. So, I know where I will be staying, and I know some places I want to eat. My question is, can anyone suggest a reputable tour company to maybe visit Martha's Vineyard while there? We will be bringing our twin teen daughters on this trip. It will be their first visit, so I know we will do the walking Freedom Trail and the sites in Boston. We learned how to travel the T when we were there in September. My plan is to stay busy during the day and then meet up with my son for dinner. Any suggestions for day events will be greatly appreciated. We will probably arrive on March 13th and depart late on the 17th. Also, what do suppose the weather will be like in March? Sweater weather or still need a coat? Thank you.

Hollis, New...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Visit in mid-March

Sweater weather if you're lucky. Do not travel to New England in March without a coat.

2. Re: Visit in mid-March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:46 pm, January 05, 2013
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
reviews: 125
3. Re: Visit in mid-March

I agree with the posters in your other thread who have advised against visiting the Vineyard in March. It sounds like you'll be coming to Boston fairly often over the next few years so you could save it for another visit (September is an especially lovely time there).

Forgotmypword's suggestion in that thread to visit Salem by train is a good one. The Peabody Essex Museum is Salem's gem. If you want to visit more of a working waterfront community, you can take the commuter rail to Gloucester. From the train station, you can walk to the downtown area and harbor, but do dress warmly as it can get windy. Going back to the station is uphill so you may want to take a taxi. The Cape Ann Museum is close to the station and features maritime history and art. It's one of my favorite places on Cape Ann.

Enjoy!

Texas
reviews: 47
4. Re: Visit in mid-March

Thanks Route128North. Those are great suggestions. The Boston - Cambridge area is so beautiful, and I do look forward to future trips to the area.

Cambridge...
reviews: 19
5. Re: Visit in mid-March

Friendly advice for our Texan friend: Don't be fooled by the academic term "spring break." March is still winter in Boston.

If you're coming in March, bring a coat, hat, gloves, snow boots, microspikes for your shoes so you don't slip on the icy sidewalks, a St. Bernard with small barrel of whiskey hanging from his neck, and a sharp object to fend off the walking dead.

You could get lucky... we might get a warm March this year, but the trees will still be bare which makes a very pretty city considerably less pretty. In March, you're likely to find Bostonians are at their grumpiest having just lived through three full months of cold, dark, dreary weather (not to mention students weary from their studies). Suggestion: Come visit our beautiful region sometime between May 1st and early November.

If you must come in March, you'll find signs of life in our best eating & drinking establishments - especially those with live local music, and there are plenty of indoor activities such as the museums and historic buildings to tour.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
reviews: 125
6. Re: Visit in mid-March

Txjeffrey, one more indoor idea for Boston: For a good complement to the Freedom Trail, visit the colonial and late 18th century America exhibits in the Museum of Fine Arts' new Arts of the Americas wing. Plus, there's plenty else to see in the rest of the wing and the rest of the museum.

Boston...
reviews: 135
7. Re: Visit in mid-March

Look at the weather history for March 2013: lots of days with freezing rain and snow. If you didn't have boots March 8th, you were looking to buy them. We had something like a foot of snow in the city. More snow came later in the month. It was like February most of the month. I think this past Thursday and Friday had a hint of Spring in the form of sunshine and 50-degree weather. I wore my puffy coat every day until March 28.

They now have those neat slim puffy coats that are packable. Macy's carries them. You could also probably get away with a windbreaker layered over a sweatshirt. Don't get me wrong---you can get some warm days in March. Last year, there was a week of warm (light jacket) weather in early March, followed by a return to sleet and cold temps. If I were traveling to Boston, I'd watch the weather reports and bring layers.

Martha's Vineyard is an option---I personally like the islands off-season. You'll find some businesses still closed, but there's less crowds and the whole place feels different. The problem is that you could end up with nasty weather, in which case, it would not be fun. You'd have reservations for a place to stay and ferry tickets purchased. They run the ferries in all but really stormy weather, so you could be on the boat on choppy seas, in the rain in the cold. When you go to MV, people usually visit beaches and walk around the shops and you can't enjoy those in cold rain. (There's a reason it's the off-season).

You might want to save MV for a warm-weather trip. Or you could think about renting a car for a day last minute to see the Cape. That way, if it's nasty out, you can easily change plans and do something indoors in Boston instead.

Edited: 10:39 am, March 31, 2013
Boston...
reviews: 135
8. Re: Visit in mid-March

@Zippy: Grumpy Bostonians? LOL

We're not grumpy. We're misunderstood! :)

9. Re: Visit in mid-March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 02, 2014