We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

S/O: Winter vacation with kids within 4 hours of Springfield

Which Springfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
S/O: Winter vacation with kids within 4 hours of Springfield

I will be traveling for a long weekend with my sister, my husband and our 2 kids (8 and 2) in February. We are looking for somewhere fun to go where there will be stuff for all of us to do--some kind of resort would be nice, maybe. Any suggestions?

Fresno, California
reviews: 80
1. Re: S/O: Winter vacation with kids within 4 hours of Springfield

I assume you are in Springfield and want something within four hours of there. Chicago, St Louis and Indianapolis are all good options but I bet you have thought of those. I don't know if you have ever been to the Starved Rock area but it is a beatuiful park. They have a lodge there which is nice. There is also a new hotel which looks like a lodge that supposedly has an indoor water park in it. I don't remember the name of it but I saw it when I drove by in Sept. Lots of outdoors stuff though like trails and such so I hope the cold doesn't bother you too much since it will be Feb. There are lots of nearby little towns that have stuff to do. Great Itlaian food in Lasalle/Peru area. Princeton is right down I-80. Nice main street area with shops. There is also an old covered bridge there. Not a place I would go for a week but an extended weekend should be good. It's about two hours north of Spfld.

Pittsfield, Ilinois
2. Re: S/O: Winter vacation with kids within 4 hours of Springfield

Grand Bear Lodge by Starved Rock State Park - wonderful! Indoor water park fun for all ages (We had 4 generations in the water at once!). Arcade and indoor amusement park with plenty for the 8 year old, not so much for the toddler, tho. We didn't eat at the GB restaurant, but the actual Starved Rock Lodge has the best breakfast buffet we've ever eaten! You might consider letting your 8 yr old bring a friend. Also, more room choices the earlier you book, so don't wait! We're going back again this year.

3. Re: S/O: Winter vacation with kids within 4 hours of Springfield

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, September 11, 2009