We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freedom Park? Help me, locals

Which Omaha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mississippi
reviews: 10
Freedom Park? Help me, locals

I'm trying to find anyone who is familiar with Freedom Park in Omaha, NE. I'm curious as to if this park is currently open?

I need some good, current photos of the submarine USS Marlin that is located there for a project I'm working on, and it is very difficult to find any info to work with.

I know Freedom Park was closed at one time, and I don't know if it has yet reopened.

Omaha, Nebraska
Destination Expert
for Omaha
reviews: 116
1. Re: Freedom Park? Help me, locals

Found this here on TA :

Rising incongruently above the Missouri River in the American Midwest, the World War II minesweeper USS Hazard and small diesel submarine USS Marlin form the centerpiece of Freedom Park. Freedom Park (formerly the Freedom Park Navy Museum) is undergoing significant change and renovation. Once run by a non-profit organization as a private museum, the park has recently been purchased by the City of Omaha Parks and Recreation Department. The City is currently renovating the small property to improve safety and visitor amenities. The small shed-like building has been removed and displays not suitable for an outdoor environment placed in storage. The ship LSM-45 has long since been moved to North Carolina, though the USS Hazard and USS Marlin are on display at ground level (not floating) as well two carrier based aircraft (A-4 and A-7), a US Coast Guard HH-52A helicopter, artillery pieces, small motor vehicles, numerous anchors, and propellers, highlighted by a massive ship’s propeller almost 22 feet tall. The park is posted as closed for renovations but to look for re-opening announcements. The City Parks phone number for information is (402) 444-5955 to check to see if/when the park has re-opened. The park lines the west bank of the Missouri River and has fishing opportunities as well. The river current at the Park’s location is swift, keep a close eye on children and pets near the bank. The museum certainly looks like a great place to spend an hour or two viewing the items displayed and hopefully touring the ship and submarine. The park is located just off Abbott Drive which services the Omaha Airport and is literally minutes away from OMA on the way to downtown Omaha.

Omaha, Nebraska
reviews: 29
2. Re: Freedom Park? Help me, locals

snakeyez,

I've emailed you some photos. Let me know which ones you like.

Eric

Mississippi
reviews: 10
3. Re: Freedom Park? Help me, locals

Thanks for the info.

And SimonRufus, I received your email and have replied back to you about the selections. You have no idea how much I appreciate this.

It's good to hear that Freedom Park is being taken care of at least.

NE
4. Re: Freedom Park? Help me, locals

I just called them myself and found out that it is opened 8-8 monday-friday, you can walk the park, but you can't get on any ships. They have tours the second saturday of every month, then you can go on the ships at that time.

Hope this helps 402-444-5955 if you have any more questions.

Clarinda, Iowa
5. Re: Freedom Park? Help me, locals

The two ships are now open the second Saturday of the month with volunteers there to give guided tours of the Marlin and the Hazard.

Also other tours can be scheduled by calling or writing Brenda Paul Special Projects Coordinator at

-(402) 444-5920

BPaul@ci.omaha.ne.us

Volunteers who would be interested in working with the Park are encouraged to call and leave contact information. Donations are always welcome.

Anyone who happens to be a member of TripAdvisor Travel and would like to come around so as to be able to make a report would be especially welcome. Many things are planned to happen in the near future, to get the ships open on a more regular basis. Groups who would like to help with cleaning, painting, and other chores needed to make the park and the exhibits more attractive are also welcome.

Bill Lee Subvet volunteer coordinator

6. Re: Freedom Park? Help me, locals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 06, 2010