We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big overrnight storm

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 29
Big overrnight storm

Sounds like Anchorage really got slammed last night adn.com/2012/09/05/2611760/anchorage-begins-…

Hope all who live there are doing well.....it is bound to effect travelers in the city as well......flights into Anchorage were re-routed to Fairbanks.......

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
reviews: 202
1. Re: Big overrnight storm

Must of been the day for it. We had massive winds here yesterday wth trees down, tin flying around and then got a bushfire in the middle of it. Very scary day. Hope everyone in AK is safe & sound.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
2. Re: Big overrnight storm

Some crazy pictures popping up on my FB friends posts...lots of cars just squashed and no power for most of them.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 5
3. Re: Big overrnight storm

I seem to be a lucky one with power out from 11PM to 6AM. Heading down Muldoon at 7AM about half the traffic lights were working and the radio pointed out - correctly - that the Hillside was still dark, obviously not powered up.

The good side is that moose hunters should love losing the leaves so early! Otherwise there are a lot of trees down and the city and others are still chain sawing at 4PM. Reports had official winds to 65 with an unofficial 131MPH in one of the wind tunnels on the Glenn Alps area.

It makes for an interesting night and day.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 45
4. Re: Big overrnight storm

Amazing. We were in Anchorage exactly two weeks ago, and it was a beautiful warm and sunny day. How quickly things can change.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
reviews: 138
5. Re: Big overrnight storm

I'm in East Anchorage (near corner of Boniface & Tudor) and we got slammed. Fortunately no one was injured and I think property damage will end up being minimal; but we lost a lot of huge trees.

In our block there were 3 cars that ended up under trees. One ended up with a dent on the hood and a broken headlight. The other 2 had minor scrapes/scratches. Too many houses to count had multiple trees on them (we lost hundreds of large trees in our neighborhood). We cut up about 40 trees on multiple lots/houses in our neighborhood.

I think good construction (cars & houses) really saved our area.

usa
6. Re: Big overrnight storm

I hope everyone is ok. We had a couple storms like that in the city where we live this summer. I hope everyone is ok.

We were fortunate to have great weather, and even briefly thought about moving to AK. All the days we passed by/stayed in Anchorage were warm, sunny and very clear all around.

We just got back home from Vancouver 10 hours ago -- trip report will be posted later which will consist of 11 day- land-tour, 7 day - Southbound Princess cruise, and 3 days in Vancouver.

Edited: 2:23 pm, September 06, 2012
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 29
7. Re: Big overrnight storm

Well, we have been having very windy days here this week.......not like the hurricane force ones in Anchorage, fortunately, but our cruise ship in town yesterday had a heck of a time leaving dock yesterday evening......took 4 hours as the wind kept the ship blown up against the dock and they had to bring in a tug boat to tow it out to sea finally........

Alaska
reviews: 7
8. Re: Big overrnight storm

We are in the Airport Heights neighborhood and it is full of huge trees! We lost one in our backyard that could have taken down the entire fence, but only destroyed three fence boards. Amazing how much wood that one tree produced when cut into firewood. My guy was a hero for stockpiling multiple flashlights bought from garage sales over the years, with working batteries! Made it possible to go to work knowing my clothes were on straight and hair wasn't too scary looking.

Our power was out from 9:00 p.m. to 7:30 in the morning, but I made it to work by 5:45 and was glad to hear I would return home to power. So sorry for the thousands of folks that were without power for days longer, with many in fear of losing their frozen fish and meat. I am assuming most power has been restored, but the down trees on power lines were significant in numbers and frightening to see the damage. There are streets that were simply lined with huge piles of trees folded into each other.

Oddly, I did not get the impression that travel was inconvenienced drastically. For the most part the wind was awful, but in our area it only lasted for a night......a very long, scary night! The hillside most likely had it worse but our daughter's BF's parents live at the top and the mom was alone. She said it wasn't the worse she has been through in almost 40 years on the hillside. She was glad cable and Internet was restored yesterday.

I have been working ten to fourteen hour days at the airport for the past three weeks and was surprised not to hear of more flights cancelled or people piled up in the concourses. Some north slope flights were delayed but that isn't necessarily unusual. The drive to work that morning was much easier done so early because the folks heading in at rush hour had a tough time dealing with no stoplights.

I am in awe of people that deal with hurricanes and tornados on a regular basis. The strength mother nature has is amazing. Being prepared is the smart thing, but I know we discovered that, as much as I like using my PFD for fun travel to Hawaii.....this year we will buy a new ladder, chain saw and small generator. Alaskans that already had these items because of past storms were quite happy, especially if they were the ones that lost power for a long time. For many living in the country, it's a no brainer they have these things. We are in the middle of the city and ready to get more prepared for next time!

The most beautiful outcome of the past week was neighbors coming together to help each other out and the true Alaskan spirit of coming together and helping each other was happening in abundance everywhere. It was so cool! Just like the old days growing up in Fairbanks when you never drove by a person having car trouble, even if it meant your day would run late. I loved seeing Anchorage feel a little more small town this past week. Take care everyone, Deb

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
9. Re: Big overrnight storm

Wow- wonder how our old home in College Alps made out with all the huge old trees there. It's amazing we all lived so close to each other. I imagine our ski trails behind our house in the park have a lot of trees down on it.

Glad everyone is OK.

10. Re: Big overrnight storm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 11, 2013