We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Question

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
A Question

Hi guys reading a post about Alaska and it said it was" RED Banded"?

Us Aussies may not be that quick on the up take So Please Explain, as was said by one of our Pollies.

See you all next week.

Scott..........land of oz

Sydney, Australia
21. Re: A Question

Hey Deb thanks for the post, yea I'm all in favour of tougher drinking laws, in Oz the legal age is 18, to young, so many young people iron themselves out after a night on the turps.

Its a problem in Oz, some feel its there right to get totaly ripped over the night arc up and dont accept the consequences when they kill their mates, fight in the street and get stabed, and wrap themselves around a tree.

They are only just talking about a 4 drink min at one time, go figure.

We are looking forward to seeing Alaska, all the pics have been great, driving down to Sewart, then up to Denali over 7 days, spending a couple of nights in ANC.

Regards Scott..........Land of OZ

Alaska
reviews: 7
22. Re: A Question

Scott......you're in for a treat with your plans! Seward is such awesome fun. Wonderful bakery right on the dock in town with the yummiest pastries and cinnamon rolls. Our Sealife Center is impressive for such a small town and worth the price to visit. We love wandering Exit Glacier and the beach in Seward. There's a thrift store that has a huge selection just up the street from the bakery. Treasures to buy that are certainly unique!

We tried to get to Seward this year but the average life of a blazer engine is apparently 150,000 miles and mine bit the dust at 149,970, just five miles out of the Hope turn-off! I was able to baby the car back to the emergency phone and four hours later we were being towed back to Anchorage by a huge flatbed truck. The driver was a good old Alaska guy and he was cool with our dog riding in the cab with us, instead in the blazer alone. Thank God cause that would have scared the crap out of our three year old American bulldog! So, pay attention to the emergency cell phone signs cause they mean no cell phone service! And then our work simply got too busy to adventure much....which is the sad truth of many Alaskans in the summer. I am jealous of all the sights our visitors see in the short time they are here.

Denali is unbelievable and here's to hoping the clouds and rain disappear for your visit so you can see the mountain in her full glory! We had a lovely August compared to some and I wish for you cooperative, sunny weather. We do love the drive to the north. The scenery changes sort of in the middle of the drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks and you just feel yourself in interior country. Feels like home to me because I grew up in Fairbanks and feel fortunate to have had that town for my childhood in the sixties and seventies.

I wrote a book,but I do get excited when people choose to come up here and wander about on their own. Our tour companies are awesome, but there is nothing better than self adventure and discovery. Something tells me you've done your homework and will have a blast! Enjoy and welcome to our world soon!!! Deb

P.S. Plenty to do and see in Anchorage as well! Wonderful, brand new museum downtown, Native Heritage Museum, coastal trails to bike and walk that are amazing, such a selection of restaurants that are world class and delicious and vary in price from the highest to so low! I apologize in advance for the road construction everywhere and sometimes rude, impatient drivers. We are so friendly with the exception of many drivers. :-). But it's not New York! Have fun and take thousands of photos!

Sydney, Australia
23. Re: A Question

Deb thanks again, the exitement is rising with each day, we are so looking forward to Alaska and the scenery, and the people, its always nice to see how the other half live, same same but differant.

Traffic is cool by me giver me a chance to check out what I may have missed doing 60.

Sorry to hear about the Blazer, buy a landcruiser cant kill it with a big stick, they are the choise over here in Oz.

Was looking at some mates pics of Alaska, it got the vital juices flowing and an itch on the camera finger.

See you all Thurday night, if we land and your all asleep I'll kick the cat out.

Scott

24. Re: A Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 05, 2013