We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for glacier hike tour

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hawaii
reviews: 57
looking for glacier hike tour

hello

family with kids age 11 and up looking for glacier hiking tour in seward or from anchorage aroumd june 9 -june 14.

exit glacier guides cannot do their tours that early in june b/c of big snowfall this year and the other tours they do our kids are too young.

we are looking at planet earth out of anchorage to matanuska glacier but are also looking for other options!

thank you

Adirondack, New York
reviews: 88
1. Re: looking for glacier hike tour

Google MICA or NOVA and Matanuska Glacier. Contact both companies about a minimum age, book your hikes directly with them, rent a car, drive to the office of MICA or Nova. Your guide will transfer you to Matanuska Glacier where you pay entrance fee for every person. Finally you put your crampons on and hike on the glacier. There are other places in AK where you can go glacier hiking but you mentioned only Seward and Anchorages hence Matanuska is the best option if Exit Glacier is not accessible. Matanuska Glacier is a beautiful glacier but don't wait too long. The glacier is melting quickly. If you rent a car, on the way to or from Matanuska Glacier you could visit Muskoxen Farm, Reindeer Farm, both in Palmer, you can even stop at the Independence Mine and the spectacular Hatcher Pass.

Anchorage Alaska
reviews: 22
2. Re: looking for glacier hike tour

“Matanuska Glacier is a beautiful glacier but don't wait too long. The glacier is melting quickly.”

I don’t think any of us have to worry about that happening in our life time, (or our kids or grandkids life times.)

When we were at the Mat-Sue Glacier and inquired about the glacier hikes they were willing to take us with all our boys, the youngest was eight at the time.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g28923-d1034…

tripadvisor.com/…34638546

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k48841…

Estero, Florida
reviews: 5
3. Re: looking for glacier hike tour

We have used MICA and we will be going back with them this year for a longer hike. Our son was 6 when we first went.

Driving yourself out there from Anchorage is preferable to me. Lot of nice scenery along the way to stop and enjoy so allow extra time.

florida
reviews: 56
4. Re: looking for glacier hike tour

We are booked with tom on the Knik Glacier Tour close to Palmer. Comments on TA say good things.

5. Re: looking for glacier hike tour

Hey all!

This is Brendan, from Exit Glacier Guides. We actually will be starting our Exit Glacier Trips on June 7th, a little earlier than the 14th that the OP mentioned.

Thanks to everyone who's checking us out this year!

Cheers,

Brendan Ryan

Co-Owner

Exit Glacier Guides

Estero, Florida
reviews: 5
6. Re: looking for glacier hike tour

Brendan welcome to the board but understand that self promotion is a big no no on trip advisor. Input on subjects other than those that you make your money off of is always appreciated though.

7. Re: looking for glacier hike tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:21 am, June 05, 2012
hawaii
reviews: 57
8. Re: looking for glacier hike tour

hello

did not mean to create a problem on this forum.

Specifically I was told by exit guides through email that the helicopter glacier ice hikes were not available for June 9-14 otherwise I would have booked them as exit glacier guides have a great reputation and I would not have posted this question to begin with. These are the hikes that can include the ages of my kids.

The standard glacier hikes that do begin earlier in june and are available exclude kids that are 11 or 12.

Go to their website and check it for yourself.

sorry for confusion and did not mean to create an issue.

I would really like to go with exit guides as they are my first choice for a glacier hike and i did not mean to have my post misinterpreted negatively as it was.

desslock

Richfield, Ohio
reviews: 7
9. Re: looking for glacier hike tour

@bluewaterfever - I don't think Brandon was self promoting, just responding to the OP's post - and correcting an unintentional error they posted.

Mica guides states their hikes are for "6-86, more or less", so I'm sure your kids would be welcome, desslock. They have an easy hike, and a more moderate one, which you kids could probably do too. Good luck!

10. Re: looking for glacier hike tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 pm, June 21, 2013