We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in april

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new hampshire
weather in april

hi

i'll be visiting anchorage the first week of april, how is the weather? i've been told to bring hiking boots and winter clothes. i'll be staying at the residence inn,, how far a walk is that to downtown anchorage?

is fishing available during this time of year.

what else is there to do for fun?

it's my first trip to alaska.....

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
1. Re: weather in april

The weather will be changing and will be fairly warm (40's) on some days and 30's maybe even 20's on cold days. Nights will be pretty cold still. We often have snow in April. Probably like NH in Feb. The hotel is about 2 1/2-3 miles from downtown but there is decent bus service during the day and early evening. Don't count on fishing around Anchorage as the ice fishing will be done and there won't be anything else yet. You don't say what you like for fun or how old you are - what sorts of things do you like and are you here on business or just a vacation? Give us a bit more info and we'll try to give you some good ideas!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
2. Re: weather in april

I'm going to bump this so it's near the new response, as then Kileysmom will see that and offer her great advice for Anchorage. :)

new hampshire
3. Re: weather in april

thank you for bumping me up. i wasn't sure how to reply to the post. i hope i've done it right this time or am i replying to myself?! this is so new to me so please excuse me if i'm doing it incorrectly.

i'd also like to ask about bringing seafood home on the plane.

thanks

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
4. Re: weather in april

Hi, kara423, to reply just go to the bottom and click on the reply to this post button. Also, check the box asking for an e-mail when a reply is posted and TA will send you one! Send some of the info and we'll all try to give you good ideas!

new hampshire
5. Re: weather in april

thanks, i hope i did this right.

so, i'll be staying at the residence inn in anchorage. my husband will be there on business a week before i get there. i'll arrive on march 31st. i love the outdoors and i hope to get to denali,, i've read so much about it. i would also like to shop!

here in nh we've been having very mild weather and i'd like to know what i should pack, will i need boots or a winter jacket or will heavy sweaters do for this time of year.

also i have heard about the northern lights, what exactly are they and will i be able to see them?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
6. Re: weather in april

Hi, bring layers and include a good rain/wind jacket and shoes that will be okay in wet as it's likely the snow will be melting. Bring a hat, gloves, scarf as it can be a bit windy. For walking bring good hiking boots. If you have a car, parking downtown is cheap and easy - we have lots of parking. There is a decent mall downtown with Nordstrom's and JCP as the anchors. There's a larger mall on the southside of town (about 7 miles from downtown) with Old Navy, etc. Anchorage is really a big suburb when it comes to shopping with lots of smaller shopping areas and small malls everywhere. The most concentrated shopping is downtown.

It's a easy drive to Denali to spend the night and it won't be crowded but not a lot will be going on either. Coalminer will give you some ideas for that.

Northern lights are almost impossible to see in town because of the ambient light. If you go to Denali and the weather's clear, you might see them but it won't be until ten PM or later 'cause it won't be really dark.

There's no way of knowing in advance if the lights will be out - the local newspaper has a "likelihood" guess on the weather page every day but that's really all it is.

Highly recommend you go to the Native Heritage Museum and the Museum of Art and History - both are small and you can do both in a half of a day. If you have a car, it is well worth it on a day of nice weather to drive down to Girdwood and ride the tram up to the top - the drive is listed as one of the ten most beautiful in the world and the view from the top of the tram is really gorgeous. We may well still be downhill skiing if you are a skier at Alyeska - the resort at Girdwood. It's about an hour's drive without stops.

This is a quick reply - maybe some others can chime in as well - I'll post more later but I just got in from work and it's 8P! Be sure to post with questions you have.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
7. Re: weather in april

Kara - hey, you are doing great posting! It takes awhile to get the hang of it, at least it did for me. I remember when I first started, I would check back at sites to see if someone had responded, as I hadn't noticed the little box for an email response. Also, another feature you may not be aware of is the search box in the forum - you can type in anything, and it will bring up all discussions related to that - I find that helpful when I am doing research.

Now, as far as Denali goes, would you be coming during the week or on the weekend? Most facilities aren't open until early May, but they are having a few ranger programs during the weekend this winter. You could always ski/snowshoe in the Park as well. For lodging, you would have to stay in Healy - we have one very nice motel and several great B&B's that are open year round that I could recommend. The iditarod will be over, perhaps you could arrange a dogsled ride with one of the local mushers.

The Northern lights can be incredible, but you will have to be away from city lights, and as kileysmom mentioned, it varies on when they are good or not. The local Fairbanks paper has a daily listing - tonight is suppose to be "active" or some times it'll say "quiet". I hope you can see them, as they are amazing. Post again if you need more help with something. Oh, and my favorite breakfast place in Anchorage is the Snow City Cafe - go check it out. Good luck planning! :)

new hampshire
8. Re: weather in april

thank you both for all the information.

we are staying at the residence inn and will have a rental SUV. my husband will be there on business but we will have the weekend and monday & possibly tuesday for sight seeing.

i will be on my own some of the time so that may be a good time to check out downtown.

i would like to bring seafood back to NH and would like suggestions as to where is a good place to get it and have them pack to go on the plane also.

we will definately be going to denali and gridwood. the tram sounds great.

how is the zoo? as far as the dogsled ride, i hate to see animals work hard, as i am an animal lover, so that may be out!!

that cafe will certainly be on my list for breakfast.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
9. Re: weather in april

Hello again - sounds like things will work out well for you when you come up. Well, this is just my opinion -I also love animals, and that is why I don't like the zoo - I hate to see them caged up. However, I think you would be surprised by sled dogs . . . they love to run. I live by a few very popular mushers and a mutual friend recently told me a story how one musher fell off his sled during a training run - not only did the dogs keep going, they did the whole 20 mile loop, and returned home on their own when they were done. Denali Nat'l Park has their own team, and do an excellent presentation during the summer -I wish you could be here then to see it. Good luck w/your plans. :)

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
reviews: 46
10. Re: weather in april

Hey Coalminer, Was the musher's name by chance Jimmy ??? haahaa roflmao... Sled dogs do love to run,it's in their blood.

In Anch try 10th & M Seafoods ..You can buy and have them ship Fed-ex or bring with on the plane.

The halibut boats are just starting here. You might be surprised that most fish is shipped to Japan and the lower 48.

I wish there was a Red Lobster or Olive garden in Anch!