We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Seattle Boston Ladies birthday

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
work
reviews: 2
Downtown Seattle Boston Ladies birthday

Where should we stay & what should we do on a Sat & Sun (leave Mon) birthday celebration in Seattle?

Should we celebrate the dinner at the Space Needle or somewhere better???

Thank you!

14 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
1. Re: Downtown Seattle Boston Ladies birthday

When? How many?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
reviews: 16
2. Re: Downtown Seattle Boston Ladies birthday

How many people? What time of year?

Where do you typically like to dine/celebrate? Price point? Type of accommodations? Luxury, boutique, chain, budget?Amenities?, etc

work
3. Re: Downtown Seattle Boston Ladies birthday

Good questions!

Three of us stopping in Seattle Fri 9/26 late night and departing Mon 9/29. We live in Boston & Florida, but will be arriving from Maui.

We are divorced/widowed/married in our early 60's. Would like a nice hotel, preferring to spend our $$$ during our brief visit on dining & sightseeing. Sunday is a birthday, so questioning the Space Needle or.....your thoughts.

Thank you for responding!

work
4. Re: Downtown Seattle Boston Ladies birthday

Good questions!

Three of us stopping in Seattle Fri 9/26 late night and departing Mon 9/29. We live in Boston & Florida, but will be arriving from Maui.

We are divorced/widowed/married in our early 60's. Would like a nice hotel, preferring to spend our $$$ during our brief visit on dining & sightseeing. Sunday is a birthday, so questioning the Space Needle or.....your thoughts.

Thank you for responding!

Seattle
reviews: 12
5. Re: Downtown Seattle Boston Ladies birthday

Hotels: The Mayflower Park, The Warwick, Hotel Andra

Restaurants: Dahlia Lounge, Il Bistro, Etta's Seafood, Matt's in the Market, Anthony's Pier 66, Maximillien's

But nothing wrong with the Space Needle, if that's how you'd like to celebrate!

work
6. Re: Downtown Seattle Boston Ladies birthday

Thanks Suze2you! May I ask your decade age as a point of reference?

So the hotels you recommended are within an easy walking distance to most

venues we'd want to visit without a car?

Thinking we'd take a city tour, then walk to Pikes area/Waterfront, Pioneer Square....

Other suggestions? Not going to spend time shopping the department stores as we

have them back East.

Will now look up those hotels!

Washington
Destination Expert
7. Re: Downtown Seattle Boston Ladies birthday

“One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that would tell one anything.” ~ Oscar Wilde

Yes, the hotels suze2you mentioned have easy access to the Link Light Rail from the airport, and are right in the heart of downtown. Seattle is a compact, walkable town. I would start with looking at the Mayflower Park hotel as they have some rooms, with two bathrooms, a nice option for three women traveling together. The Andra is another one of my favorites, though their overall room size is smaller and their bathrooms are tiny. If you book at the Andra, look at their larger rooms or suites, and/or one guest may need to be comfortable on a queen sofa sleeper.

I often spend an overnight in Seattle with girlfriends. One of our favorite hotels is the W because the upper floor corner rooms are very large, easily accommodate 3 women (2 queen + a roll away) and we don't feel like we are tripping over each other, and the upper floor rooms have beautiful views. The downside of the W (for me) are the dark hallways, thumping music and too cool vibe (showing my age!) The W is located just 2 blocks from the University Street light rail station, which is quite convenient.

Two other hotels to consider, if you like more amenities, would be the Fairmont Olympic, with it's lovely indoor pool and fitness area, and a car service that provides transportation within the downtown core.

Also look at the Alexis. Again a boutique hotel, with very large comfortable rooms that work well for 3. The Alexis offers a complimentary evening wine reception and is part of the Kimpton Hotel group. The Alexis is located on the southern end of downtown, again, close to the University St Station. The Monaco, a sister to the Alexis, also has decent rooms, an evening wine reception, and is located right across from the W.

Regarding the Space Needle. You will find the food and service to be very good, though expensive - and that is often the reason that it is criticized by locals. You can have a wonderful, Northwest dinner at many other places for a better price. That said, for me, I think it is a terrific choice for memorable celebrations, particularly if you are planning to visit the Space Needle anyway. Do note the sunset time for your trip, as the Space Needle is best for dinner just before sunset, you will then enjoy dusk and the watch the glimmering lights of the city come on. Another, less expensive option, is to book lunch instead. Also consider the Space Needle + Chihuly Museum combo ticket. The Chihuly museum is fabulous and not to be missed.

Regarding tours. There are several to choose from, depending on your interests. Because I enjoy the water, and it is such a part of Seattle and the Northwest, I like to recommend those offered by Argosy Tours. Another unique option are the food oriented tours. I like those offered by Savor Seattle, as they give you a glimpse of our culture through our food, but there are others to choose from.

Let us know how your trip is shaping up.

work
8. Re: Downtown Seattle Boston Ladies birthday

Hey Island Grl!!!! Wow! Thank you for not only taking all the time you spent in being so thorough but also leading with such wise humor!!!

Yes, I will now do some more research into the hotels you listed. We were going to "settle" and feel safe by going with the Marriott Renaissance.

Many thanks!

Lily

Seattle
reviews: 12
9. Re: Downtown Seattle Boston Ladies birthday

I always forget about the Alexis! I was there last week to meet a friend for happy hour drinks. We were sitting in the Bookstore (bar) watching people coming and going in the lobby. It's a great hotel and I think a good location - since it sits south of the Market but just north of Pioneer Square on 1st Avenue.

Metropolitan Grill is another great restaurant I want to add to the list. Close to the Alexis.

Let's just say... I'm old :) but I don't think my recommendations necessarily reflect that one way or the other.

suze

Washington
Destination Expert
10. Re: Downtown Seattle Boston Ladies birthday

"People tell me I look good these days. I look good because I feel good. I know people who are older than I am who are twenty-five... It's all about attitude. To me, age is just a number."

~Rita Moreno

The Marriott Renaissance is a fine hotel. It underwent a renovation a couple of years ago, which has helped. It can be a decent venue for smaller meeting/convention groups. I tend not to recommend this property because of it's location and there are better properties at the same (or better!) price point. It is located right next to I-5 at the top of a hill (remember that Seattle is hilly). Not a bad thing, just important to know and a factor to consider depending on your fitness and walking ability. Freeway noise can be a factor depending on your room location.

Reply to: Downtown Seattle Boston Ladies birthday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted