We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

side trips from Seattle

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 8
side trips from Seattle

Going to be in Seattle for 5 days. I can't decide what side trip to take. San Juan Islands, Olympic peninsula, or Rainer/Mt. St. Helen. I have read need more time for San Juan Islands because of time on ferry etc. HELP

7 replies to this topic
reviews: 767
1. Re: side trips from Seattle

Have you considered Whidbey Island? Just a short ferry ride to get there. Have fun! :).

Renton, WA
2. Re: side trips from Seattle

ONP deserves at least two days...and that will barely scratch the surface. Still, it gives you mountains, beaches,and rain forests...none of which existed in Dallas last time I was there. If you want to island-hop, terries are a concern in the San Juans. However, if you just want to enjoy a visit take the ferry from Anacortes to Friday Harbor and laze around for five days....you won't regret it.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
3. Re: side trips from Seattle

May? November?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
4. Re: side trips from Seattle

How many days will you have available for side trips?

Whidbey Island and Mt. Rainier NP are "side trips", each can be done in a day with early starts. Mt. St. Helens is a very long day, I'd not suggest it unless you were en route south.

Whidbey Island is a great, interesting, day or more getaway, including a loop from Seattle to avoid backtracking. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

San Juan Islands and ONP are not side trips. You can do the former, however, with a very early start from Anacortes ferry terminal to avoid car lines, With a car, I'd go to San Juan or Orcas Island. More to see/to do on San Juan Island, but both are lovely in their own way. If you leave your car at the Anacortes terminal, you'll have no worries about car lines or a missed ferry, just walk on the ferry and go to San Juan Island; walk around Friday Harbor, rent a car or Moped to see much more. The islands are best seen by basing on one and visiting the others as day trips. Ordinarily I'd recommend at least two nights. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

Edited: 12:39 pm, May 12, 2014
Dallas, Texas
5. Re: side trips from Seattle

Late July early august

Dallas, Texas
6. Re: side trips from Seattle

Renting mopeds sounds like great fun and great alternative to bringing the car. We will have 2 days and 1 night to do a side trip. I also like the zip line ideas in San Juan Island. I can also see ONP being great also. If did San Juan Island would you stay in Anacortes or somewhere on the island?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
7. Re: side trips from Seattle

How about this... drive north on Whidbey Island (lots to see). Lodge in Anacortes the night before the ferry, take the early one, spend the day on SJI, return to Seattle the next day. OR, from Anacortes, take a later ferry to SJI and lodge there. The Victoria Clipper from Seattle to SJI would work but it eats up a lot of your limited time given its schedule.

When I said "early start", see the WA State ferry schedule; we typically get the 6:25 AM ferry. Lovely ride...

wsdot.com/ferries/…

www.clippervacations.com/schedules-fares/

Reply to: side trips from Seattle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted