We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Ferry to try ?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
reviews: 1
What Ferry to try ?

Hi, We will be in Seattle next weekend . It will be our first time and would like to try the Ferry. Is there one that you can suggest.We will be staying in downtown. Thanks

14 replies to this topic
Vancouver...
reviews: 24
1. Re: What Ferry to try ?

Kinda depends on where you want to go? Sort of like saying you want to try the bus, which one? Chuck.

california
2. Re: What Ferry to try ?

Oh sorry. Which would be an easy ferry to take just to get the experience ? We will be staying at Mayflower .

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
3. Re: What Ferry to try ?

You could walk on either the ferry to Bainbridge Island or to Bremerton. Bainbridge is a suburb of Seattle, so there's a town within walking distance of the ferry terminal (shopping, restaurants, etc.). Bremerton is home to a naval shipyard, so a bit more of a rough and tumble town/area. There is an Anthony's Homeport restaurant among others near the ferry terminal. Ferry schedules found here: http://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedule/

Ferries just get you from point a to point b. Another option would be to take a boat cruise/tour such as those offered by Argosy Cruises. http://www.argosycruises.com/

california
4. Re: What Ferry to try ?

Thank you very much sodomojo. I will look into the link you have attached.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
5. Re: What Ferry to try ?

You're just taking the ferry and then going back, or want to do something at the other end? If the latter, what do you want to do? I think the ride to Bremerton is the longest and most scenic of the ferries out of downtown Seattle (passed by several islands), but there's more to do in Bainbridge. The area immediately around the Bremerton ferry is not rough and tumble. Anthony's is a very nice upscale seafood restaurant. You can take a tour of the USS Turner Joy, now a museum. Could even take the small passenger ferry to Port Orchrd. But if you want more in the way of shops and restaurants, Bainbridge may be the way to go.

Edited: 6:47 am, February 10, 2014
california
6. Re: What Ferry to try ?

Hi Sutter, We will just take the ferry for the ride experience and the scenic view . I am not sure we would have time to take the tour. This trip is to take my daughter to see UW but I figured for 3 days, we can squeeze in some sightseeing. I will try the restaurant you mentioned if our time permits.Thanks.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 84
7. Re: What Ferry to try ?

I think most people choose the Bainbridge (Winslow) run as it gives you a great scenic view of the Seattle Skyline and it runs more often and downtown Bainbridge is cute.

Fortaleza, CE
8. Re: What Ferry to try ?

You'll see the Seattle skyline from any of these ferries, as they leave from/arrive at basically the same spot. Bainbridge has the definite advantage of what you can see/do once you get off the ferry (plus a shorter ride and ferries traveling more often, in case time is a factor). Bremerton ferry is a longer trip and I think you see a bit more, but people have different opinions. There's a map of the various ferry routes at www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/wsfroutemap.pdf (you can vary the size and/or scroll down to see the areas you're interested in).

Edited: 3:15 pm, February 10, 2014
Fortaleza, CE
9. Re: What Ferry to try ?

Seattle-Bainbridge is 35 mins. Seattle-Bremerton is 60 mins. You can find schedules at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/ We've done both. I think you'll enjoy whatever you choose.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
10. Re: What Ferry to try ?

Besides all of the above comparison's between the two runs keep in mind that the Bainbridge ferry comes into a much nicer setting at Eagle Harbor, and as mentioned it runs more often.

Reply to: What Ferry to try ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted