We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 yr anniversary trip- Itinerary Advise

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dallas
reviews: 11
5 yr anniversary trip- Itinerary Advise

We are a couple 35-40 taking our 5 yr anniversary trip and first trip away from our 1 yr old twins ( my mom will be keeping them) in mid to late may.... I think we have settled on Portland/ Seattle We will go 5-6 days ( travel time is 5-6 hrs with getting to airport early etc. So once we are there we will probably loose a 1/2 day for travel on either end of the trip. We are thinking of taking the train between cities to just be relaxed and not have to worry unless the drive is much prettier.

We love good food and some nightlife Like cities but love gorgeous scenery too. not into hiking much but would for the right view.

Need to know weather or not to do 3 nights Portland two nights Seattle or the opposite? We have never been to this part of the country and would really like to see the scenery too.

Right now I am thinking:

fly into Portland on a Tuesday. Explore Portland that day/ evening. Wake up early the next day and drive to the Columbia river gorge. Stay at same hotel in Portland that night. Next day maybe drive to wine country Willamette Valley? Stay in Portland. get up and have breakfast and leave around 10ish for Seattle. get to Seattle Friday and enjoy a nice dinner and some nightlife. Get up the next day and explore Seattle... space needle, pikes market, etc. ( most of one day suggestions on this list.) Sunday get up and do the waterfront, have some great seafood and leave early evening fly out from Seattle back home.

This might push to Wed- Monday which would mean we might be able to catch the farmers market in Portland Saturday before we head to Seattle. Also might be better for the train to Seattle to do it on a Saturday rather than a Friday?

Does this sounds like a good trip? Would I be missing any must sees in these areas? Should I skip the wine country in Portland for another day in Seattle and do a day trip there? what are my day trip options in Seattle and what is best?

Thank you in advance for any advise. I have been reading the forums quite a bit and just still unsure of the best itinerary.

13 replies to this topic
Phila, Pa
reviews: 10
11. Re: 5 yr anniversary trip- Itinerary Advise

My husband and I did a week between Portland and Seattle in October and Cannon Beach was the highlight of our trip! We are in our mid 30s as well and sounds like we were looking for all the same activities as you.

Highly recommend a night or two in Cannon beach. Camp fires on the beach, rented surf boards at a local surf shop (we don't know how to surf but tried it!) cute beach town, stayed at Webbs Scenic Surf Motel. It was pure relaxation, we actually stayed an extra night and cancelled a night in Portland bc we didn't want to leave.

Then we did two nights in Portland (rented bikes and did our own brewery tour) and 2 in Seattle (pikes market, booked a sailing trip, byob, nice to get out on the water, very quiet and relaxing, oysters at Carpenter and Walrus---MUST DO)

Have fun!!

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 263
12. Re: 5 yr anniversary trip- Itinerary Advise

A further note: There are several areas in Yamhill County (the top producing county of the Willamette Valley wine area) where you can walk between tasting rooms in a very small area. Downtown Newberg has something like a dozen tasting rooms. Same for McMinnville, also several in Carlton and Dundee. One of our favorite stops is the Inn at Red Hills which now has four tasting rooms and a restaurant opening in about a week (replacing Paulee'). The Evening Land tasting room features wines from their Oregon, California and Burgundy vineyards. They have a $20 flight that includes their $150 Grand Cru Clos Vougeot among the five selections.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 5
13. Re: 5 yr anniversary trip- Itinerary Advise

Thank you, OregonJohn. I am planning my trip to Evening Land right now.

Reply to: 5 yr anniversary trip- Itinerary Advise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted