We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver itinerary

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 1
Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver itinerary

Just wanted to see if this is a do-able itinerary and looking for any advice, input or budget tips!

2 adults; no rental car.

May:

14 Fly in to Seattle; stay in Seattle

15 & 16- sight-seeing Seattle

17 - Clipper from Seattle to Victoria; stay in downtown Victoria

18 - sight-seeing Victoria; see Buchart Gardens for my birthday.

19 - Boat over to Vancouver; stay in Vancouver

20 & 21- sight-seeing Vancouver

22 - Train from Vancouver to Seattle; stay in Seattle (by downtown or the airport?)

23 - Fly out from Seattle

Also, we have been looking into hostels to save money… are they nice?

13 replies to this topic
Seattle
reviews: 257
1. Re: Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver itinerary

That seems like a good itinerary. For your last night, I wouldn't stay at the airport, which is kind of dismal. You could stay at the Silver Cloud which is near the train station, enjoy dinner and a nice evening in the city to finish your vacation, and take the light rail to the airport the next day. Have a great trip!

Renton, WA
2. Re: Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver itinerary

Not sure what "boat over to Vancouver" means. The BC Ferries run between Swartz Bay, which is about 17 miles north of Victoria, and Tsawassen, which is several miles from downtown Vancouver. Better plan is to take the Pacific Coach (www.pacificcoach.com) bus, which goes downtown to downtown and crosses the water by ferry.

California
reviews: 1
3. Re: Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver itinerary

Thank you!

Bellingham...
4. Re: Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver itinerary

I have yet to stay in a Vancouver hostel, but I highly recommend City Hostel in Seattle. Great location in Belltown, clean, good crowd, and felt safe (although I am not sure I would walk around by myself in Bell town late at night, but that goes for downtown in general). But I generally prefer the hostel over any of the "budget" hotels, and I prefer staying downtown over the airport. Hostel is walking distance to both light rail to airport and to Pike Place Market!

However, if it factors into your decision, you should be aware that it takes about an hour to ride the light rail between downtown and the airport, and taxis are very expensive. Depending on your time of flight and how long Amtrak actually takes, you may prefer the more convenient airport option that last night.

Bellingham...
5. Re: Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver itinerary

Also, I'm sure you know this, but I have relatives who did not, so I thought I'd better mention- you need a passport or enhanced drivers license to cross border, now.

I have no idea what the difference in airfare is, but possibly consider flying into vancouver and out of Seattle, if you have passports? You would have more time to enjoy each area, and would spend less time "en route".

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
6. Re: Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver itinerary

Based on previous posts, don't think that the OP is looking for hostel accomodations.

And based on the way the OP laid out in their original itinerary, it appears that they have planned their journey looking forward to really enjoying their time "en route" on the Clipper, the BC Ferry and Amtrak

Edited: 11:27 pm, January 21, 2014
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 6
7. Re: Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver itinerary

But the OP says, "Also, we have been looking into hostels to save money… are they nice?"

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
8. Re: Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver itinerary

Didin't read the last sentence....absolutely my mistake.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
9. Re: Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver itinerary

if hotwire type sites don't work you can call the visitors bureau for discount rooms

800 hello bc

also the ywca in Vancouver is in a great location and about the cheapest accomodations.

Port Townsend...
reviews: 45
10. Re: Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver itinerary

You can take a regular city bus to get from Victoria to the gardens. (Done it twice.) The bus takes exact change -- in Canadian currency obviously. I mention this because if you hit the ATM in Victoria and get some $20, you'll want to buy a soda or something and get $5 bills in return. (I think the per person per direction bus trip was $2.50)

Reply to: Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted