We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tour out of Seattle

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Puyallup, Washington
reviews: 4
Train tour out of Seattle

Are there any 2 or 3 day round trip or circle tours on trains out of Seattle that would make for a relaxing scenic getaway for this weekend? Not looking for a destination necessarily. Just want to experience the train and the views.

7 replies to this topic
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 81
1. Re: Train tour out of Seattle

your not going to find anything 'organized' but its something you can do yourself. In December Alkitour.com does the snowtrain to Leavenworth. If not then you could take the train to Vancouver BC, ferry to Victoria and back to Seattle. Other choice would be to take the train to Porland and back but your not going to find a 'circle' tour as train only goes north and south and East towards Montana.

Puyallup, Washington
2. Re: Train tour out of Seattle

Thank you. I like the idea of train to Vancouver, ferry to Victoria and ferry to Seattle. We always just do ferry round trip Seattle to Victoria. I was hoping there was something like Seattle-Spokane-Portland-Seattle. Someone should start that.

Seattle
reviews: 12
3. Re: Train tour out of Seattle

You can take Amtrak from Seattle to Portland certainly, but except for a few short legs of the trip, there's really nothing particular "scenic" that is visible from the train. suze

Puyallup, Washington
4. Re: Train tour out of Seattle

Thanks. I was wondering how scenic that ride was. Good to know.

Seattle
reviews: 12
5. Re: Train tour out of Seattle

There's a short bit of track upon leaving Seattle that runs along the water, but mostly it's inland with trees on either side. Not a lot to look at.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 81
6. Re: Train tour out of Seattle

by contrast the trip to Vanc BC follows the water for most of it then rejoins the coast near Bellingham and is very scenic into Vancovuer.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
7. Re: Train tour out of Seattle

I would argue that the Amtrak route between Seattle & Portland is quite scenic. On a clear day you have a beautiful view of Mt Rainier from the Puyallup Valley and beautiful daffodil fields in the springtime. Southbound after departing Tacoma you follow the Thea Foss Waterway (Museum of Glass, Chihuly bridge of glass) until you pass underneath Point Defiance (via tunnel) & emerge alongside the Tacoma Narrows. You continue South along Puget Sound for about 45 minutes with views of the Narrows Bridge & numerous islands along the way (can you spot McNeil Island?). South of Kelso you'll again have some water views above the Columbia River (try to spot the old Trojan Nuclear Plant across the river on the Oregon side). Leaving Vancouver, WA you'll cross several train trestles with views of the Columbia & Willamette Rivers. If it's clear you may be able to see Mt Hood beyond the downtown skyline before pulling into Union Station. There are so many more things I could mention. Driving I-5 pales in comparison.

Can you tell that I've taken this trip a few times over the years? ;o)

Reply to: Train tour out of Seattle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted