We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay for neighborhood feel

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Best area to stay for neighborhood feel

We are visiting Seattle in July for 4 days and are looking at renting a apartment through Airbnb, but are not familiar with the city at all. We will not have a car so it is important that we can walk a lot of places (my understanding I that Seattle doesn't have great public transportation), but we really like to stay in places that have a lot of character and feel more like a neighborhood with local restaurants and bars than a sterile downtown area. Any suggestions as to an area that would be central and fit this description? Thank you!!

17 replies to this topic
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 90
11. Re: Best area to stay for neighborhood feel

PS July is typically very clear and warm and the town is bursting with festivals that will ramp out the crowds and noise and partying in some of the neighborhoods. You will miss the big Pride fest at the end of June where Capitol Hill has significant partying and the massive crowds in late June in Fremont for the Solstice Parade and Fremont Fair. However depending on when exactly you will be here the last weekend of July the Capitol Hill block party will bring massive crowds for the live music fest in central Capitol Hill. Ballard will have big crowds and live music during Seafood Fest the second weekend of July.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 60
12. Re: Best area to stay for neighborhood feel

Capitol Hill. That would be my pick.

Seattle
reviews: 12
13. Re: Best area to stay for neighborhood feel

I live near Volunteer Park. Sure you can always find a party on Capitol Hill I suppose, if you go out to bars, to certain areas, in the evenings and at night. But just walking down the street isn't a "party" :) suze

PARIS
reviews: 326
14. Re: Best area to stay for neighborhood feel

We stayed in Seattle for a week and spent a lot of time visiting the neighborhoods often by the good public transport system.

We were in Greenwood with friends but if I were to go back alone I would choose Capital Hill.

Next choice would be Ballard.

But even Greenwood is an option as it has a lot going for it (Chuck's'..yay!) And is only 30 to Dpwntown and easy distance from Fremont, Ballard, University District etc.

Cleveland, Ohio
15. Re: Best area to stay for neighborhood feel

Thanks all! I think we will go with Capitol Hill for this visit as it seems the most central and good for walking.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 90
16. Re: Best area to stay for neighborhood feel

I hope you'll still get around and see some of the other neighborhoods -- like Ballard and Fremont -- during your trip. West Seattle's Alki neighborhood and Junction neighborhood are also recommended. They have the West Seattle Summer Fest in July (the same weekend as the Ballard seafood fest) and the Alki beach area is closest to S.Cal as you can get in Seattle. However Ballard's farmer's market really explodes in size and crowds during the summer and the sockeye run at the fish ladder at Ballard locks is a spectacle that I highly recommend. I was just reading this New York food blogger's post about Ballard and thought I would post a link for anyone potentially interested in visiting the neighborhood.

four-tines.com/2013/09/dinner-dinners-drinks…

reviews: 24
17. Re: Best area to stay for neighborhood feel

NOT an expert by any means but we were in the Queen Anne area a few weeks ago and found transportation to other areas quite easy and efficient.

The bus drivers were extremely friendly and helpful if you have to get your bearings.

In fact, we had no complaints except coming from NY you've got to be in shape for some areas that have steep inclines/hills.

Reply to: Best area to stay for neighborhood feel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted