We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternate destination options to Mt. Ranier

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ny
reviews: 8
Alternate destination options to Mt. Ranier

Original Itinerary: 10/17-10/20 Mt. Ranier (10/20-10/22 Seattle)

Method of Travel while in Seattle: Renting Car

Seeking: Hiking- moderate at times, easy at times, some scenic views, with on site lodging

Lodging preferences: private room with private bath

Budget: $164/night is what we were going to pay for a room at the National Park Inn at Mt. Ranier.

As most are aware, the national parks are closed due to a government shut down. While there is a chance they may reopen, I must explore alternate lodging and plans for myself and my travel companion. We still want to have a getaway within the trip that revolves around the outdoors. (This is my second time in Seattle and my companion will have already have been in Seattle for 4 days prior to my arrival for a conference.) My knee jerk reaction was jump on the Amtrak to Vancouver, thinking everything will be open, but then my brain switched off of ignorant and dramatic and I have since been trying to explore state parks and some islands (Whidbey Island is on a tab in my browser right now) as alternatives in Washington state and around Seattle.

Typically I would do weeks of research and only then post a more specific, well researched question about my options, but being that time is limited and there is so much information and it seems my options have gone from 1-20 in the course of a few google searches, so I am asking for some help with suggestions. Thank you for any recommendations and your feedback! Either way I can't wait to visit again.

ny
11. Re: Alternate destination options to Mt. Ranier

Thanks to all again for sharing. I have no intention of cancelling the actual trip as I believe our gov. is just trying to bully its' citizens just as we are showing we don't have to take their lazy set for life entitled ways anymore.

Regardless it seems my trip has taken an unexpected turn and we are now booked on camano island for 3 days/2 nights. We will try to find a good day trip for our day inbetween camano island and seattle. I am still very interested in quinault lake/rainforest but that will have to wait for my next visit now!

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
reviews: 16
12. Re: Alternate destination options to Mt. Ranier

Does the Boeing Tour in Everett interest you?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 5
13. Re: Alternate destination options to Mt. Ranier

Good for you! Imagine if everyone stopped traveling. Planes are not going to fall out of the sky.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 931
14. Re: Alternate destination options to Mt. Ranier

Trip insurance is not a bad idea, especially right now, but no the planes won't fall out of the sky and all the hotels, restaurants and gas stations won't all shut on Oct 18th.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 6
15. Re: Alternate destination options to Mt. Ranier

Trip insurance will not pay for cancellations related to the shutdown. Read the policy; the conditions are strict. Payouts are usually limited to illness or acts of God such as hurricanes.

ny
16. Re: Alternate destination options to Mt. Ranier

Thank you again to all for your suggestions! I have definitely added Lake Quinault and the coast to my "must do" list for my next trip to Washington. We actually ended up at Camano Island for two nights, followed by two nights in Langley on Whidbey Island. It wasn't what we planned, but everything turned out perfect, both places were absolutely gorgeous, food delicious, people wonderful and just overall one of the best vacations I have ever had. This was my second trip and definitely won't be my last!

Edited: 9:48 pm, October 24, 2013
17. Re: Alternate destination options to Mt. Ranier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 26, 2014